Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

owning parts of the moon!

audiobull

OK this may have been brought up in the past but please tell me that you CANNOT but parts of the moon.my young brother of 10 got part of the moon last year and have only just realised my father actually paid money for this picture and certificate.now I'm not being funny but surely no one can own the moon or parts of it and that must have been some hoax as i can get a pic of the moon and print of a certificate.?(don't worry i wont tell my younger brother as its like telling a child Santa isn't real.he loves space etc).

Ben

Theoreticaly a shotgun would work on the moon or space, But the average shot weight is between 1 and 1.5 ounces so you would be propelled back also, so they would'nt catch you!. Speed is about 1100 fps should = around 17,000 foot 1b. Im sure someone will work out the velocity of your escape.

Surely, you couldn't fire a shotgun on the moon, no oxygen to ignite the spark?

Probably wrong though :)

Kain

You can fire a shotgun underwater, although it doesn't work well. The cartridge is a closed system with its own (chemical) oxygen supply. It doesn't need air.

Especially with todays cartridges with synthetic casings. Back in my day there were still alot of paper cased shells about and I used em regular. They were always wider on the choke compared to plastics - regardless of what it said on the box - and you JUST HAD to keep em dry. Paper cased cartridges ain't gonna like a bath - not sure about a vacuum :?

Shotguns aside, I too am the proud owner of an acre of moon.

It was a gift from someone years ago who knew I had an interest in astronomy, and while it's a very nice package with a map and deeds, it's about as legally binding as a verbal contract with a mental patient. Technically i own an acre of moon near the top of the Sea of Storms, and in reality I am the owner of a couple of bits of archive quality paper. The Moon is legally classed the same as international waters on Earth, but if you and your shotguns can get up there to your patch you could try defending it from NASA should they pick your patch to land on.

It was a gift from someone years ago who knew I had an interest in astronomy, and while it's a very nice package with a map and deeds, it's about as legally binding as a verbal contract with a mental patient. Technically i own an acre of moon near the top of the Sea of Storms, and in reality I am the owner of a couple of bits of archive quality paper. The Moon is legally classed the same as international waters on Earth, but if you and your shotguns can get up there to your patch you could try defending it from NASA should they pick your patch to land on.

I think you will find I own the patch next to yours. Fancy sharing the costs of a fence?

I have a funny feeling that when the guy printed out his moon deeds he was perhaps a little unimaginative in his placement of the little X's on each map. I think there's every chance we could be paying for the same fence. Call me a little cynical but I have a sneaking suspicion that rather than catalogue thousands of points he may well have churned out thousands of maps with exactly the same details on them.

:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: etc etc etc

I think you will find I own the patch next to yours. Fancy sharing the costs of a fence?

I wonder if you can put a temporary, movable structure on the moon, analogous to putting a boat or a raft on international waters?

If I were selling real estate on the Moon, I probably would send the same information to everyone, just change the description of the longitude and latitude slightly on each deed, but put the same "X" on the map. That "X" probably covers thousands of acres.

Archived