Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A question for those with a modded DSLR

swag72

Sorry for all the questions, I am probably taking up most of the forum with them at the moment, but I just want to make sure I get things right at this stage :D

For those of you with modded DSLR's - A quick question for you.

I know that they work best for certain types of nebula, but do you use it for ALL your imaging work? Even those where there may be little advantages in doing so? I just wonder whether it's beneficial to use them for all astro work, or just a few things?

You know that the answer to this question may make my mind up!! Alternatively I just keep using my unmodded one :icon_eek:

You will see the biggest difference when imaging emission nebulae which emit strongly in Ha (which an unmodded DSLR cuts out v. strongly) however galaxies also have regions of star formation which emit Ha wavelengths and therefore in theory a modded DSLR will produce an image with a better signal:noise on any object. Narrowband is perfectly possible (particularly Ha) but obviously the signal:noise will be lower than a mono CCD because not all of the pixels will be collecting light due to the bayer matrix.

As said above, as weird as it seems, for lunar and planetary imaging a webcam would do a better job (high frame rate to catch good seeing) than a DSLR.

Basically, you should see an improvement over an unmodded DSLR but good images are produced by unmodded DSLR, you've proven it yourself! Particularly the more recent models (1000D, 450D, 500D etc) which have less harsh cut off. Have a look around at images I guess and try to judge whether the benefits outweigh the costs (or vice versa)

I took this before I modded my 450D:

5348534563_9a50939151_b.jpg

Veil Nebula by Horizon Astro, on Flickr

(not great, its a real quicky)

Hey, that's me! In a weird effort to shoot myself in the foot I've not really done a proper nebula image since completing the modification, there have been a few other targets on my list which have taken my attention.

I've certainly noticed the difference on galaxies though, more than I expected to. The other benefit has been the colour balance when used in conjunction with my Astronomik CLS-CCD filter. I'm not needing to spend much time at all getting it right in post processing.

Sara,

I have been using my DSLR unmodded until this September, and I don't know whether it's a coincidence or not, but since the modification my imaging seems to have stepped up a notch. Not only does it show all the red stuff that was missing before, but there seems to be so much more data in my subs (same length as before).

I think I heard somewhere that modification makes the DSLR more sensitive. I certainly think it's the best move I have made.

Carole

As said earlier, the modded camera really brings up the red Ha. I am hoping to try a deep red/IR pass filter in there to see what things look like in the sky, and on the ground.

I use a standard Canon 1000D for 'daytime snapshots' and a modded for astro. I know I could put a 'back to normal' clip filter into the modded camera. But I use very different setups for the two cameras. Keeping one set up for night use means everything is right from the first push of the button in the dark. I can't cope with setting all of the knobs, and a scope, and a drive box, and tripping over cables!

Archived