Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 Which do you prefer?

First or Second  

51 members have voted

1. 1. First or Second

Whats that?

Unsharp masking?..

http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/digital-darkroom-examples.htm

In the good ol days, a negative was reimaged on new negative film, but fairly out of focus, this was then (once developed) placed in contact with the origional negative forming an "unsharp mask". The effect was to dim bright areas whilst leaving the dim ones unaffected thus dramatically reducing the dynamic range.

Today of course you can do it in seconds on your computer.

Derek

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly I ordered a print from jessops of my latest version and the print came out exactly as it appears on my desaturated screen, I did the tweaking on my PC monitor ( i dual with a TV and a monitor) im going to order one now tweaked on my main screen,

Sorry to be difficult but it is all in the blue, for me. Too much in the first one and not enough in the second. The reds are better in the second as is the background, but the hot blue stars have a green tinge and that can't be right.

In the second you have pulled out lots more faint stuff which, being mainly red, makes sense. But for me you have gone beyond the noise limit so I would settle for less outlying dust and less noise.

Very good stuff there though. Some Trapezium short exposures and this tutorial would be great for your image: Compositing 2 Different Exposures via Layer Masks

Hope you don't mind me not answering your question in a straghtforward way!

Olly

Archived