NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flickering Power Light on NEQ6 Pro

Digz

Hi Guys,

Last night was the first time I've had my scope out for ages and I noticed something strange.

When slewing to a target the red power light on my mount (NEQ6 Pro) went dim, flickered and intermittently went out. I thought the cable may have worked loose but it was seated properly. It did, however, feel looser than normal.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fault or something common with this mount? Can it easily be fixed?

Any thoughts / help much appreciated.

Hi guys, thanks for the prompt response.

Nadeem, Im guessing its not a real problem with the mount then.

Chris, my powertank was fully charged last night but it is probably due for a full drain and recharge, I havent done that for a while and its not been used really since october last year - I hope the powertank hasnt lost its power!!

Could be a Power supply problem. Are you working with a Power Tank, or a mains PSU. If the former, check the battery state of charge. These units take a whole longer time to re charge , than they do to discharge, so you have to keep an eye on them. Charge often.

Ron.

Hey Ron,

Im using a Skywatcher powertank, I drained it off a couple of weeks back, listening to the radio and using the torch, and recharged it until the 'charged light' came on. I also topped it up yesterday before using. Im just wondering if I should have left it charging for longer?

HEQ5 and HEQ6 and Im sure the NEQs will be the same are notorious for power lead problems. Ive fixed my HEQ5 for good by replacing the power lead with a real one and at 1st soldering the lead directly to the pc board then DemonBarber (Mike) did a superb mod with a real plug and socket, Ive done the same.

Never had a flickering led since.

Take a look here http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/120991-all-those-heq5-power-problems.html

Also Im sure Mike wont mind me posting a link to his gallery picws on this Stargazers Lounge - Demon Barber's Album: Modifications

philj

Thanks for the links PhilJ, I don't have the bottle, or skill to try soldering the power supply, but the suggestion os buying a thicker lead was interesting. When you say thick do you mean a thicker connector? Where can I get such a lead?

If you stll have the heavy Duty Battery leads attached, connect a voltmeter you trust to the +VE and -VE of those leads.

Do this when you see the mount light flashing.

The voltage read out will show how capable the battery is.

Is it a 17A/h One by the way?

Ron.

You really need a leisure battery of at least 90ah to power that mount for a longer duration, those skywatcher/celestron portable power units are not recommended for these type of mounts. I use a 110ah leisure battery which gets a topped up charge around once a month sometimes not even that.

Nadeem.

Hi guys, thanks for the prompt response.

Nadeem, Im guessing its not a real problem with the mount then.

Chris, my powertank was fully charged last night but it is probably due for a full drain and recharge, I havent done that for a while and its not been used really since october last year - I hope the powertank hasnt lost its power!!

The surest way to kill a lead-acid battery (which most powertanks have) is to allow it to fully discharge. Lead-acid batteries do not have any "memory effect" (unlike Ni-Cad rechargeable batteries), and ideally should not be allowed to discharge below 75%.

if you do run it fully flat, then the battery may not be recoverable. If it is (usually by using some sort of "smart" charger- Optimate for instance), then it's capacity will be reduced. To maintain a lead-acid battery you need to keep it on a flaot charge (like an Optimate...bikers use them when the bikes are stood over the winter)

The surest way to kill a lead-acid battery (which most powertanks have) is to allow it to fully discharge. Lead-acid batteries do not have any "memory effect" (unlike Ni-Cad rechargeable batteries), and ideally should not be allowed to discharge below 75%.

if you do run it fully flat, then the battery may not be recoverable. If it is (usually by using some sort of "smart" charger- Optimate for instance), then it's capacity will be reduced. To maintain a lead-acid battery you need to keep it on a flaot charge (like an Optimate...bikers use them when the bikes are stood over the winter)

Ah ****, that doesn't sound good. Looks like Ive probably knackered my powertank then, although Ive only done this twice. BTW I didn't completely drain it only ran it down until the flash went dim and not out still that probably didn't help. :):mad::evil6:

Nadeem, any suggestions on a suitable leisure battery?

Thanks for the heads up on the cable Daz.

A larger cross section lead is prefferable and these can be got from most SW or accessory suppliers but in my experience the actual 2.1mm 2 pin connector is the achilles heel.

This can give problems, it certainly did with my mount. So no matter how big or reliable a power supply or how large a cross section power lead you have, if the connector is dropping the volts then your on a looser, thats what happened with me. I had a beefy 38Ah battery plus 1.5 mm2 cross section leads but the LED still flashed.

Hence the surgery

Philj

Thanks for the links PhilJ, I don't have the bottle, or skill to try soldering the power supply, but the suggestion os buying a thicker lead was interesting. When you say thick do you mean a thicker connector? Where can I get such a lead?

Do you have any sort of strain relief on the power plug?

You need something like this, you glue it next to the mount's socket and it holds the power cable in position.

http://www.prlog.org/10950124-adhesive-cable-clamps.jpg

Thats interesting as I whilst I was out I tried to reduce the downward force of the hanging cable but decided against wrapping around something incase I slewed somewhere and ripped the cable out. I like the look of the cable clamps and might give that a go, cheers :)

Archived