Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark sites

causerino

Hello All,

I am quite new to observing with a scope and I live in an area where I can't take the scope into the garden for a good session. I would like to find some local dark sites to go to but I haven't found any info online.

Has anyone ever created a map for users to add their dark sites to share with other SGL users?

If not would it be something people would contribute to if I set it up?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I don't use a dark site personally but I think this might be of use to you to find your own place to observe from.

It is a map showing the amount of light pollution in the UK. There is a download in there that is an overlay for Google Earth and shows pretty accurately where all the light pollution is in the UK, as it is an overlay you can still see the road map beneath it so you can pinpoint where the dark skies are and if there is any access to it.

It was linked to in another thread a few months back but I thought I might as well dig it up for you.

EDIT: Here is a direct link to the downloadable file :)

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/uk.kmz

It would be very good if I could incorparate the light pollution overlay on top of any map I create. This would give a great full map with technical light pollution spots as well.

Just doing a bit of research into it now to see what I can do.

As already suggested in this thread, I think it would be a great idea to have an SGL dark sky map - there are enough of us undertake this project, and I am sure all of us possess the intelligence to take readings of how dark the sky can be on average (readings taken over several days, for example).

For what it is worth as a newcomer in London this sort of info would be a godsend, travelling is an issue as son needs wheelchair so knowing good local sites is what I am investigating as we speak, off to check out links above bit good dark sites with details on amenities, access etc would be good feature.

Hi Tom,

I don't use a dark site personally but I think this might be of use to you to find your own place to observe from.

It is a map showing the amount of light pollution in the UK. There is a download in there that is an overlay for Google Earth and shows pretty accurately where all the light pollution is in the UK, as it is an overlay you can still see the road map beneath it so you can pinpoint where the dark skies are and if there is any access to it.

It was linked to in another thread a few months back but I thought I might as well dig it up for you.

EDIT: Here is a direct link to the downloadable file :)

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/uk.kmz

Thats a great find. Just downloaded and added to Google Earth. Looks like I have some dark sites closer than I thought :evil6:

Archived