Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Interested in going to star party this year

Lurker

Kelling's brilliant - very friendly, lots of scopes of all types, trade stands for bargains, and talks on the main weekend covering all kinds of astro stuff. We go every year to both equinoxes. But book early cos it fills up quick - spring may have spaces but autumn will be sold out by now.

SGL6 will be on around the same time in Hereford - another great occassion. Then there's Kielder, and Dumfries and Galloway. All of these are the big popular ones - I'm sure there are others that someone will mention. :)

I was going to mention Salisbury....usually just called SSP.

Last year there were about 100 people, very friendly, great site and Darren (being such a great bloke) usually organises all kinds of things to do including a hog roast.

The stars are the same everywhere - you can just see more of them from the star party sites cos the sites are very much darker than anywhere near towns. The main weekends are usually dated at "new moon" so the galaxies and nebulas don't get washed out in moonlight. :)

For Kelling I wouldn't rely on email booking - give them a call soon as poss. If they're full then keep an eye on the For Sale and Star Party sections - cancellations often get advertised for sale here.

i went to last autumn star party at Kelling and had a great time, everyone happy to share advice and scopes, were booked into autumn 2011 already as these pitches do go quick,

the skies i found where amazing, we had 2 clear nights out of the 3 we were there and i managed to see more in those two nights than i ever could in the heart of the midlands and i only own a 6" sct, just goes to show what dark skies can do for the hobby. m81, m82 clearly visable amoung lots of other stuff.

i went to last autumn star party at Kelling and had a great time, everyone happy to share advice and scopes, were booked into autumn 2011 already as these pitches do go quick,

the skies i found where amazing, we had 2 clear nights out of the 3 we were there and i managed to see more in those two nights than i ever could in the heart of the midlands and i only own a 6" sct, just goes to show what dark skies can do for the hobby. m81, m82 clearly visable amoung lots of other stuff.

Sounds interesting, Thanks for clearing that up, Looking forward already.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived