Beginner astronomer. Small (?)problem.

For the last month or so I've been stargazing(naked eyes) almost every night(when the sky's clear). I've learned different stars, constellations and such.

I live in an apartment at the third floor(and a lamp post in front of the apartment building). When I stargaze I go out in the small balcony, which is facing South. This is where the problem arrives. I can only watch South and a little bit East and West but I can never see what's in North. Just as a example, I can never see Polaris(from Ursa Major) or Cassiopeia.

Of course, I could go to my grandparents which live in a remote village with no light pollution and with a great open area(never been there since I've started stargazing) but it'd be only for a short time(weekends or holidays) and it's not guaranteed that the sky is gonna be clear.

So, in a couple of months or so plan on buying a pair of binoculars(Celestron Skymaster 15x70).

Am I missing much considering I can only see what's in the Southern part of the sky? Is it even worth it to go only 1-2 nights to watch the whole nigh sky?

TL;DR: I can only see what's in the South, SE/SW part of the sky,never what's in the Northern part. I can go to a clear site only for a short amount of time. Worth getting a pair of binoculars?

Yes, its certainly worth getting a pair of binoculars. The south is more interesting than the north anyway! You'll see the planets, and things change through the year more in the south than the north.

If you can get to a dark site then that will be mind blowing with binoculars - or actually without any optical aid, just staring at a dark sky covered in stars is an awesome experience.

Helen

It is worth getting a pair of bins simply because they're ultra portable. I f you have a small park or open space anywhere near home it would be worth a short stroll.

Viewing from an apartment is never easy not just because of the restricted view but also because the heat from the apartments below will create unstable air, blurring and shimmering effects. You won't notice this with your eyes but if you magnify your image with a scope the air disturbances will also be magnified. How far away do your folks live? if i had relatives with light pollution free sky over head i'd be there every clear weekend.

To get a good idea of the upcoming weather conditions try goggling 7timer. It's an astro-weather web site that is pretty accurate. It could help you plan your visits to your grandparents around a bit of star gazing.

:)

Hi' a planishere comes very handy they are around £5.00 up wards it will show you what is in the night sky at different times.I use a pair of 10x50s bins which are nice and light to hold.With a pair of 15x70s bins you might need a tripod for them because of their weight and strength your hands hands will start moving after a while.Mark

Thank you for the fast reply.

@Helen Nice to hear that :).

@crazyjedi My folks live at ~1 and a half hours away(14km from the city). So they're kind of close by. As for the heat, the only heat source from the apartments below is from the heating system(it exhausts through a small tube) but it's near the left side of the balcony.

@Taff I've already got a tripod with a weight hook so shacking won't be a problem.

Thanks again for your answers.

• 2 weeks later...

Any heated air rising has a rather adverse effect on magnified viewing just from the central heating or even the heat absorbed from the sun onto a building during summer can be annoying. i view from my back yard and viewing over the roof of my house is quite blurred and has a shimmer effect. for instance Jupiter's red spot is very hard to see over the house due to the distortions. It isn't enough to make me want to give up but it is annoying. You will still enjoy star gazing from your place but as a bonus.........

If i were you I'd get accurate weather info and get to visiting your folks more (don't forget your bins) You'll be amazed at what suddenly becomes beautifully apparent when the light pollution isn't there to wreck your night.

You will enjoy it from your home but you'll be nlown away from your folks place.

Ps is there any open space near you that you could walk to in order to get a better less restricted view?

:)

Ditto all the above - I have the Celestron 15x70 Skymasters and they're smashing for the price. But you'll need a tripod cos they're quite weighty for holding long periods. I use a s/h tripod that i got for £20 from a camera shop. FLO sell the tripod to scope adaptor.

FLO had them on offer for £50 recently but it's finshed now. For a similar price you could get the Revelation 15x70's which are pretty much identical and similar performance. :)

Yes, it's definitely worth getting the binoculars, especially if you've been enjoying the view enough to spend time just looking at it with the naked eye. A southern view is a good one, I think if most people had to choose only one view it would be South, and you'll have no shortage of targets from home. Some of the northern targets can get quite high (I'm thinking mainly Cassiopeia here) and might be visible if you can look straight up and back a bit!

Bino's are an excellent investment... there's nothing quicker... I agree on mounting them though, the 15x70's are a tricky proposition to handhold... even 10x50's are hard to hand hold and get them still for any length of time.

Archived