Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 1000d focusing

Hi.

I've put my dslr onto my telescope, and I mean on top of it and 'attempted' to take a few pics, but it's impossible to focus on anything because the screen in live view in black; obviously I know it is probably because I'm not zoomed into any object close enough?

Is there an easier way to fucus, say on the pleiades cluster or the andromeda galaxy or would it be best to get the adapters to connect the camera body directly to the scope?

Thanks.

:)

Your camera must be set to Manual Mode, and Bulb.Set exposure time to 30 seconds. Set ISO to 200-400,

use the viewfinder not Live view, and make sure your lens is set to infinity. Do you have a remote, or are you connected via the EOS Utility, or perhaps APT by Yoddha. If you are simply pressing the shutter button, place a piece of card in front of the lens before you press the button. After pressing, wait a few seconds, then move the card carefully away from the lens. That will allow any vibrations to die down before the sensor is exposed to light from the stars and prevent any slight trail. You can experiment with shorter or longer exposures depending on the lens you are using. Make a note of the results you get with each trial, then you can work out what is best for you.

Ron.

If i'm using my wide angle lens i set it to the infinity mark.

If i'm using it through the scope without the lens or your lens doesnt have an infinity mark then i target a bright star to do my focus on.

I never use the liveview for focus because my eyes cant focus on it,i need to look at it about an arms length away before it comes into focus so i just use the viewfinder,

preferred using the viewfinder even before my eyes went Pete Tong.I know,i should wear my glasses.:)

Yes, I'm in Manual Mode. The shutter speed is set to 20s and I'm using ISO 800. How do I set the lens to infinity, it just shows the 18-55mm stops??

Thanks.

Your camera must be set to Manual Mode, and Bulb.Set exposure time to 30 seconds. Set ISO to 200-400,

use the viewfinder not Live view, and make sure your lens is set to infinity. Do you have a remote, or are you connected via the EOS Utility, or perhaps APT by Yoddha. If you are simply pressing the shutter button, place a piece of card in front of the lens before you press the button. After pressing, wait a few seconds, then move the card carefully away from the lens. That will allow any vibrations to die down before the sensor is exposed to light from the stars and prevent any slight trail. You can experiment with shorter or longer exposures depending on the lens you are using. Make a note of the results you get with each trial, then you can work out what is best for you.

Ron.

Focus the camera on a very distant object in daylight to see where "infinity" is. If you are lucky enough to have a very distand object visible at night (maybe someones tv ariel which is illuminated by a street light, or a church tower etc?) use that.

By the way - for "infinity" try and find something 300-400meters away at least.

I cant find an infinity mark on my Canon 450D. This means i usually have to take quite a few shots at night before i get the focus spot on.

The infinfity mark is on the lens,not the camera,not all lenses have an infinity mark though.

Yes, sorry Joe, I should have explained better. However, the other guys have explained how to achieve infinity.

Fortunately it costs nothing to take trial exposures to establish the Ideal focal point of whichever lens you use. You can then mark the positions on the lens body an focus ring. A small piece of masking tape and a fine pen and two marks. Save you time the next time you do some work.:)

Ron.

No mark on my lenes either. Would there be any point in focusing to infinity during the day and then leaving the lens alone til using it at night. I'm kind of thinking that because of low light etc at night that the infinity focal point would be slightly different then during the day?

No mark on my lenes either. Would there be any point in focusing to infinity during the day and then leaving the lens alone til using it at night. I'm kind of thinking that because of low light etc at night that the infinity focal point would be slightly different then during the day?

Dont know about that but if you pick the brightest star you can see

and focus on it,the nearer you get to being in focus ,the smaller the star will get,keep going until the star gets bigger,that means you've gone beyond the focus point,just move your focus the other direction till the star gets to its smallest point again and that will be you at perfect focus.It takes a little practise to get your eye in but its relatively easy once you do it a few times.Take a trial shot then enlarge it using the LCD screen to check it,if you think the stars could be sharper then repeat the process untill your happy,it really doesnt take long.

I should just point out that my camera is not connected to the scope, it is sitting on top of the ota. That is why I can't see anything on the lcd. :-\

Do the focusing before you set it on the scope.Once its in focus it isnt goin to change unless you accidently move it.

Archived