NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GoTo Rocks!!!!!

saturn5

After years of being a star hopper Santa brought me the GoTo upgrade for my HEQ5 mount.

Finally the skies were clear at around 10,although the moisture in the air was hard to believe.

After several failed 3 star alignment attempts i was beginning to to get a bit concerned, RA out by 45deg it told me.I then noticed i had the date entered wrongly,got the days and month the wrong way round so it thougth it was April....doh :eek:

After that everything worked a treat , i took a tour of galaxies around Ursa Major,Coma Berenices and Leo taking a single 2 minute exposure of each one,just to see if the alignment was accurate.

I probably saw and photographed more galaxies in 2 hours than i have in the last 5 years and every one ended smack bang in the middle of the field of view so GoTo has impressed the hell out of me anyway.:)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There ya go :eek: i was getting frustrated with non GoTo myself. Lavk of time and abysmal UK weather meant i never got to see much exept the things i coud find with my 4.25 scope 20 years ago.

Added GoTo and zzzzzziiiiipppp I can see anything I want.

Glad the upgrade has gone smoothly for you....mine didnt and ended up with me having to spend a weekend stripping the mount down.

You think Goto rocks?

EQmod Goto Rocks even more !!!

The fact you can align on any star is awesome !

then you get lots of other goodies :eek:

I agree with both of you!

I lost GOTO when I bought my EQ6 SynTrek mount, but EQmod gave it back to me and so much more.

Cheers,

Chris

LOL. This is not yet another Go-To V's non-GoTo comment.

...but you know it's going to turn into one of those threads though!!

I'm with Paul, I started on go-to and am now having much more fun with non go-to.

I'd go back to goto, if I get into imaging, but for now I prefer manual. Tracking is essential for me though - I'd hate to find something and then have it disappear from view quickly.

I'm going to disagree...just because i can. Half the fun of visual astronomy is the hunt for objects. Where's the fun in having everything served up to you.

LOL. This is not yet another Go-To V's non-GoTo comment.

Just the other side of the coin.

I've done the hunting for objects manually for the best part of 30 years.It is very rewarding to find objects manually and certainly helps you learn the night sky.

I now feel i've done my time and think i deserve to have things served up to me :eek:. Call me selfish..or lazy. :)

Half the fun of imaging is taking pics of things you visual guys are only going to see as faint fuzzy blobs... if at all...

Thats when goto comes into its own...

Billy... (incoming !!!!!)

Why would i spend a small fortune on imaging when i can just look at your images for free.

Touche.

LOL.

Half the fun of imaging is taking pics of things you visual guys are only going to see as faint fuzzy blobs... if at all...

Thats when goto comes into its own...

Billy... (incoming !!!!!)

Duck....:eek:

Got to agree with Shaunster...

Otherwise with the Hubble images available online why would anyone bother...

Tried visual... ZZZZzzzzz boring...... I was never any good at join the dots as a kid either....

Might as well get this one over and done with early this year :eek::evil6::)

Billy...

I've done the hunting for objects manually for the best part of 30 years.It is very rewarding to find objects manually and certainly helps you learn the night sky.

I now feel i've done my time and think i deserve to have things served up to me :eek:. Call me selfish..or lazy. :)

My sentiments exactly, except I've been doing it for 35 years!

Indeed :eek:

If we all liked the same things .... well that would be boring wouldnt it..

You dont like my tv?

No seriously. Any which way you can is fine. Once you enjoy it.

Sure we all cross over to the dark side at some stage of our hobby.

BTW....one of the scopes on Stargazing Live last night that was featured was Go-to. It was VERY noisy. I've seen a couple of Go-To scopes in action and you can barely hear them.

Are some just naturally noisy?

You dont like my tv?

No seriously. Any which way you can is fine. Once you enjoy it.

Sure we all cross over to the dark side at some stage of our hobby.

BTW....one of the scopes on Stargazing Live last night that was featured was Go-to. It was VERY noisy. I've seen a couple of Go-To scopes in action and you can barely hear them.

Are some just naturally noisy?

When i showed my wife the goto going to its target she said "is that the warp drive kicking in?" with her sarcastic grin that i love...Its virtually silent when tracking but i just love the sound of it when its going to.

The problem with GOTO mounts .. especially with smaller scopes... is that they will (if setup and used properly) point the scope at things you just cannot see...

Billy...

Then you just take a photo! Or several hours worth of photos followed by hours of processing...

Archived