NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seems like loads of welcomes - Is this a time of year thing?

swag72

Yes, and that`s my point too. I don`t particularly like that I have to drive to a dark site. But then I realize that so many other hobbies require hours of effort, or driving. For instance, in Canada, a person who belongs to a hockey club drives 1500 hrs/year going to games. So it's not so horrible to have to drive 40 minutes to a dark sky if I treat it like I'm going to an event.

That's an excellent way of thinking about it, the only thing is it would (for me) be a solitary experience but a nice one if I could find somewhere suitable.

For the record, I've joined here at this time but not because I got a scope for Christmas, and not because of Stargazing live (although I found out about that through this site).

I joined because I recently realised that my crappy tasco, which had been stored in the loft for the last 6 years, could actually be stored in my new garage. Which would make it more accessible when there is actually a clear night.

Basically, suddenly got the urge to try this hobby out again.:eek:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came here by two happy coincidences. I picked up a friend of my brothers from the train station the day before the eclipse. We talked about the stars, supernovas and whatnot. Then I saw stargazing live, and I started looking at telescopes. My brothers friend said he would take me out with his telescope when the weather cleared up (waiting for that before I'm gonna buy), but I also like to look at what is out there. (hence my posts about finding a good telescope).

After discussions here and on IRC (#astrology on freenode), I realize astrophotography might not be the best thing to start with. So now I'm basically waiting for the weather so my brothers friend can take me out, and if my (albeit low) expectations are met, I will probably go and buy a telescope. It would also give me an excuse to pack up and go to our summer cabin further south, where there is little light pollution and clear skies!

I'm a couple of steps away from my observing site as well. No,.. I don't have the most spectacular tools when it comes to stargazing but it's now what one sees that counts but what one knows about it right?

So my pictures will never look like some of the ones I see here. I applaud their efforts and they all give me something to aspire to. I agree with those above. I might be a newcomer (my first time was a couple of days ago) but astronomy is a passion,.. not something that comes out of a Christmas box.

Isabelle

Me joining was just a coincedance with xmas and stargazing, My other hobby came first last year or I would have started it 2010. This year I want to get settled into stargazing now I have a decent set up

Yup James - I'd agree...when I was restarting I called a society who told me in a loft sort of way 'oh we dont do observing - we do proper astronomy' hmmmm one wonders where 'proper' astronomy might be if noone was doing any observing to get the raw data.

Some societies do have the sort of people who would put you off for good.

In part thats why I am kicking off the Surrey Observers Group, its not a society more of just a 'get together' for people to come along.

I think that is a Surrey thing.

Your experiences are exactly the same as mine, when I was living in UK (Surrey). My local club had some great speakers and very interesting talks, and did a massive amount of work for outreach events, but they assumed that observing is something you do in your back garden on your own. That's fine for the very long-term members of the club, but not for newcomers and younger people, most of whom live in apartments and thought that joining a club would get them out on observing sessions and looking through other people's eyepieces and have others look through your scope. I got so fed up that a friend and myself got together and had to setup an informal observing group for the rest of us, who didn't have nice rural country mansion houses.

I was often turned down to give speeches and demos on astro-imaging on the cheap, because I didn't use the chairman's passion for the most expensive equipment brands and have $millions coming out my ears; in other words I was seen as a threat to the aristocratic image of the club committee. Many times myself and at least three other new members were felt like they were made to use the 'trademans' entrance.

Only about 2 of the 100+ members went to the observing nights. They rather stayed at home and observe on their own. I respected that, I mean they are entitled to what they've earned or inherited over many decades, but I do think the situation is very different when you get out of the South East. And it's certainly not like that here in Netherlands. But there are very good clubs around London & South East too.

That's another reason why I joined SGL. So I could share results and get feedback from people who really do have a passion for observing (and imaging).

On SGL there are sections for a variety of different specialities as well as general observing, and you get more feedback/comments here than I ever did at a club.

I wish I lived closer to clubs since I gather I would learn so much by being with others. Unfortunately, where I am is very isolated. The nearest town is an eight hour drive! So this gives me great night skies but no one to share it with.

What I have learned so far has come from the Internet and books. This is why I was ecstatic to have found this forum!

Isabelle

I guess the problems with clubs ( and I have been in a few ) is they all too readily become charged with politics and snobbery of various kinds.

Thats why the mob I am aiming to get going will be so informal. A collective.....well what would you expect from a Marxist :)

Snobbery and politics in clubs.....

Yep i have seen it before. My first bow was a second hand recurve. No counter balance weights etc. I was looked down upon by many of the other members (older ones in particular) who had all the latest gadgets and gizmo's.

I think part of the problem was that i was shooting better then they were with my second hand no bells or whistles bow.

Chat amongst us was a bare minimum because they said it took them out of "The Zone" in between rounds. If i did talk to one member at any length they would tell me who they dont like etc. Like i had to dislike the same person.

Definitely wasnt my scene. Now i shoot alone in my garden.........just like i observe alone in my garden.

If i was in Surrey (family live there) i would definitely join your motley crew AB.

Assuming you would have me,LOL.

Shame to hear about snobbery and politics. I would not fit in then as one of the clamps on my tripod legs has broken and i am using a big ol G clamp instead.

Back on subject though, i think Prof Brian Cox said his new series, Wonders of the Universe was being broadcast in the Spring, so hopefully that could help reignite and dwindling enthusiasm of people that are new to the hobby.

Snobbery and politics in clubs.....

Yep i have seen it before. My first bow was a second hand recurve. No counter balance weights etc. I was looked down upon by many of the other members (older ones in particular) who had all the latest gadgets and gizmo's.

I think part of the problem was that i was shooting better then they were with my second hand no bells or whistles bow.

Chat amongst us was a bare minimum because they said it took them out of "The Zone" in between rounds. If i did talk to one member at any length they would tell me who they dont like etc. Like i had to dislike the same person.

Definitely wasnt my scene. Now i shoot alone in my garden.........just like i observe alone in my garden.

If i was in Surrey (family live there) i would definitely join your motley crew AB.

Assuming you would have me,LOL.

Sad to read that. I would observe with you if I could.

For instance, in Canada, a person who belongs to a hockey club drives 1500 hrs/year going to games. So it's not so horrible to have to drive 40 minutes to a dark sky if I treat it like I'm going to an event.

That is quite true.

A few years back when my wife and I stayed in Lafayette IN with relations it was nothing for them to say we are going out for a meal and we would drive for 2 to 3 hours to get to the resturant whereas over here in the UK no one would drive for 2-3 hours for meal out.

Going a but more towards the original thread about welcomes on SGL, I feel sadly that it's because SGL can provide what some astro clubs don't provide. Having been to a few clubs during my time in UK, here is "The System" that I've experienced:

- group of 50-100 astronomy enthusiasts meet-up montly for an interesting talk from a guest speaker. Fabulous range of speakers, and a chance to meet up with some like-minded people.

- the outreach committee does excellent work at scouts groups, schools, street-side events to get the public to look at the sky and maybe drop-in for a visit to the club meetings.

- Outreach volunteers work hard, giving up their valuable time, to show the skies to the public. The people that respond are most enthusiastic about the prospect of meeting up with a group of friendly people to view the night sky and share views through telecopes & binoculars. The club doesn't get it.

- each month, 3-4 newbies come in as guests to the meetings, sometimes as a results of dedicated work from the outreach events. Nobody in the meetings from the regular members talks to them, and during the meetings not much is mentioned about actual practical observing, and at no point of the meeting is there a feeling of "let's get together" under the skies.

- When you ask the opinions of guests the meetings who no longer show-up, they complain that the club is more orientated to the needs of 'more established' members of the club prefer to do observing in the privacy of their own rural country mansion houses.

- The newbies complain that they wanted to go out observing with a group, and didn't want to take it too seriously, and are also put off by some snobbery from some members.

- the newbies never come back, and the attrition rate continues as it always did before.

- After the year-end (usually late-Spring, Early Summer) the club votes in a new committee for the following year. Because only the long-time members are still going to the meetings, they may only represent a small percentage of what amateur astronomers actually want (due to the montly attrition rate). The same style of committe is voted in again, year-after-year.

- Outreach events continue to woo new curious and interested people into the club, but the old culture prevails and the newcomers continue to leave in drones.

Sorry. I've seen it happen again and again. Aristocracy kills the societies.

Many astronomy enthusiasts people live in apartments and need a group of like-minded people who can meet-up for observing sessions and share views through the eyepiece. A society with a mentality of "do observing in your own back garden, come to the meetings for the science" is not keeping up with the times.

SGL is different.

Post something onto SGL you will get feedback and encouragement. And I get to show appreciation for other ideas. SGL is for observers and imagers, people with a passion and for people who want to provide encourangement.

Archived