Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

strange object ?

Hi a friend of mine was walking this morning in kent uk about 8.30am and took this picture - i cant explain what it is as i have looked at stellerium and the moon wasnt up and im pretty sure saturn is not that visible with the naked eye. Can anyone tell me if i have made a mistake with stellerium and that it was the moon or does anyone have any ideas ?

Regards

picture can be found at link below

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/dazraz-albums-garden-picture8274-strange-object.jpg

Looks like a lense flare. Sometimes when taking pictures of very bright objects you will get reflections on the lense. Whilst they may look like real objects they are just a trick of the light.

I think i have to agree as i have just been sent other pictures and i am quite sure i can see the small dot again

Many thanks for clearing this up for me

If you have a UV filter in front of the lens, it may well be a reflection of the sun's image in the filter. If you draw a line from the object to the sun, the centre of the photograph (optical axis) is practically in the middle of that line. What happens is that the sun is imaged on the sensor, and light is reflected off it, passes through the lens (retracing its incoming path), forming a parallel beam which hits the filter, which in turn partially reflects it back to the lens, which images it at the other side of the optical axis as seen from the original image of the sun.

Otherwise it is a lens flare.

Archived