Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do I only need screws for connecting the dovetail to the scope?

swag72

Here's the scenario. I have a Skywatcher 120ED and I want to piggy back a DSLR on it. I have just found a spare dovetail bar, but have a question about the screws.

The rings on top of the scope, where I want to connect the dovetail bar has only got one screw and a black plastic locking wheel. In order to connect the bar I need to find another screw - Can anyone tell me any retailers in UK that sell screws specifically for this? It's countersunk and quite short. I'm assuming that I am thinking about connecting the dovetail bar to the right place?!!!

Thats what I was thinking...

Screw the DSLR onto the screw and run the plastic locking wheel up to it ...

Longer term you might want to fit a B&S head to the scope ring... the camera can be pointed at any area of the sky once the mount is polar aligned and tracking...

Billy...

Sara, stick a ballhead on the piggy back bolt. That gives you a range of motion on the camera orientation and a QR plate..., that's how I do it. Or stick the 323 adapter straight on the bolt itself. You might want to consider a spring washer to keep things tight though...

Or you need another piggy back bolt for the other tube ring, then just drop the dovetail onto the two threads and use the black rings to lock it in place.

As already explained, the bolt and plastic disk are designed for mounting a DSLR but I have never found this mounting system to work very well. Peter's suggestion for using Ball and socket attachment is a much better solution and this too attaches to this bolt but much more securely than using that daft plastic disk!

An even more secure mounting system is to use two of those bolts (they are basically 1/4" Whitworth) to attach a small aluminium bar or even a small length of dovetail bar to the top of the TWO rube rings and then use a ball and socket unit on top of the new bar. As an alternative to the ball and socket you could fit a quick release unit like this:-

piggyback_1.jpg

piggyback1.jpg

1/4" BSW or 1/4"-20 UNC... pity your in Spain or I would have dropped you some in the post....

Billy...

What thread length would I need? I want it to go through the dovetail bar and into my Manfrotto 323 plate.

Sorry boys, but don't give a girl a link to a nuts and bolts shops and think I'll know what I need :eek:

• 1 month later...

Archived