Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Atlas, your recommendations

Hi everyone.

Thought I should really start to "gen up" on things before I start observing in earnest. I really want to buy a good star atlas, but I am not sure as to which would be most suitable for me as a complete novice, and also because some of them appear to be quite pricey.

Any suggestions on which to purchase, or on any other literature which may be of help would be appreciated indeed.

If you want a book star atlas then the Cambridge Star Atlas is highly recommended. Some people prefer the Norton but I find the Cambridge one easier on the eyes.

As for astro software I prefer Starry Night Pro. Very useful for imagers because under the equipment section you can put in your scopes and cameras and when you use the FOV option it will show how tagets will look when photographed.

Keith

Also if you have a smart phone (ie an iphone or similar) there are some great little apps for helping you find your way around the skies. I use pocket universe

good luck

anth

Thanks everyone.

I have downloaded Stallerium and also got the natty little app as well. I am going to check out your other suggestions also, and see which I think I would be most comfortable with.

Thanks again really appreciate the help. :eek:

For the past 12 years I have used David Levy's Skywatching (Collins). It is a phenomenal book which details each constellation (Northern and Southern hemispheres) showing the specific highlights for telescopes, binoculars and eyes. It contains 12 star maps in the centre of the book and a time/map chart to tell you which one you need at what ever point of the year and time of day.

It even has a comprehensive guide to astronomy at the beginning of the book and explains everything you need to know.

You can get a hardcover copy of the newer edition on Amazon for just under £4. I just bought the newer edition. Best £4 you'll ever spend.

Skywatching: The Ultimate Guide to the Universe: Amazon.co.uk: David Levy: Books

I also use free Stellarium on the computer for tracking planets and the moon.

I have the pocket sky atlas. Not quite "pocket", in the same way a "pocket dictionary" is never pocket-size. :eek:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317/ref=pd_sim_b_1

But it covers the sky in a very clear way, and has plenty of DSOs to keep you amused. Slips into a corner of my eyepiece case, which you couldn't say for a "deeper" sky atlas.

I would well recommend it for the price. If you need a sky atlas with fainter stars, the free print-out one goes very deep. Sky Atlas 2000.0 and Uranometria are well recommended, but they are large and expensive.

HTH

Andrew

I would also highly recommend the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders, which is a guide to finding and observing deep sky objects. It organises objects by constellation and has a finding guide/chart, so it's very easy to use. It also shows which are the most impressive objects to observe, which is always difficult to tell with a star atlas. It's also "field-friendly".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-Guide-Astronomical-Wonders-Observer/dp/0596526857/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294239255&sr=8-1

Andrew

Archived