Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

using ipad compass polar align - just an idea

I have just spent a few minutes in the garden with a free ipad compass. I placed the ipad in the ground and adjusted it until the compass said 0 or 360 degrees, then using a pencil I drew a line down the long side of the ipad.

The using a long ruler I extended the line and then placed the front leg of my mount on the line and then I moved my mount until I have placed both other legs equal distances either side of the line. Three blobs of red paint later I have marked out True North for the mount.

Has anyone else tried this or a similar idea?

regards

David

I use the compass on my iPhone to give me a rough bearing when I'm setting up

have you checked that the compass is displaying true North rather than magnetic North?

I'll second the above (fortunatley for me my decking i built ages ago runs east -west)

• 2 months later...

When I use my iPad in the way described it whinges that there is compass interference from the mount.

I use a small circular "boy scout" compass although, at night, I just aim the mount at Polaris. Works for me.

When I use my iPad in the way described it whinges that there is compass interference from the mount.

I use a small circular "boy scout" compass although, at night, I just aim the mount at Polaris. Works for me.

I found that out the other night when I was checking alignment without taking the HEQ5 off the tripod, those motors have some strong magnets in them :(

SkySafari is also worth a look. It is packed with goodies and can be linked to your scope to control it (not sure this is really worthwhile given that any synscan handset provides the same functionality).

Terry

I will be getting the iPad 2 when it's released and have been looking at some astronomy apps to buy. Anyone used the GoskyWatch - planetarium app? Am wondering if it's any good.

Allie

Personally, I don't rate GoSkyWatch on the iPad. Star Walk is a gem as is Solar System but everyone is different. I usually just use SW but I've got numerous astronomical apps on the iPad.

I have just spent a few minutes in the garden with a free ipad compass. I placed the ipad in the ground and adjusted it until the compass said 0 or 360 degrees, then using a pencil I drew a line down the long side of the ipad.

The using a long ruler I extended the line and then placed the front leg of my mount on the line and then I moved my mount until I have placed both other legs equal distances either side of the line. Three blobs of red paint later I have marked out True North for the mount.

Has anyone else tried this or a similar idea?

regards

David

If you don't have MotionX GPS HD get it! It's awesome for compasses data (it rotates like the real thing) and the My Position page is great for all manner of lat/long data. You can have it in DMS, DM, D, UTM:icon_scratch:and MGRS:icon_scratch:

It's just a really clever app.:(

Had an email today saying the iPad 2 had launched. Thought for one moment that I was getting preferential treatment as an Apple user and current iPad owner. Clicked to see the price and then realised it was of course the good old US of A!

So back to the normal date in a couple of weeks.

Still cannot make my mind up if it is a good upgrade to the 1. Will wait and have a play methinks.

Regards

Chris

Archived