Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

mains powered Dew heaters

Im looking at getting 3 Dew heaters, for 100mm 80mm and 50mm but I want these to me mains powered.

Everything i have found so far is all 12v Cigar lighter adaptor.

Now I know nothing about electronics really so im not going to buy without confirming what I am getting is correct.

Maplins sell:

12V 5A Cigarette Socket Power Supply : Cigarette Socket Power Supplies : Maplin

Would this be safe to power

Dew Prevention - HitecAstro four-channel, four-port Dew Controller

and then i get 3 straps (£93.00 from FLO)

Dew Prevention - AstroZap Dew Heater Tapes

Any comments advice appreciated.

Hi Earl

the dew tapes dont say how much current they draw - only stats have seen is on hitecastro website: 'some 14" dew tapes require over 4amp'. Worth seeing if the resistance can be found. If you can find out then just check combined they dont add up to pulling over 5A. Looking at sizes you should be ok, but worth checking.

As for powering the dew heater that seems fine, just ensure any interconnecting cables, if used, are rated up to 5A and use RCD device.

hi Earl

according to the table at Accessories for ETX90, ETX105, ETX125, LX90, LX200, LXD55, LXD75, and Coronado PST telescopes (use the tabs on the left and select anti-dewing.....) your tapes will draw about half and amp for the 50mm and about 3/4 of an amp for the other two. I think this is at maximum heat which you won't use anyway? I am sure the ones you are looking at will be similar and you shouldn't have a problem. The supplier should be able to confirm the amps for the specific ones you are buying.

Archived