Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter-Uranus Conjunction

tuc

Hello,

I`m not sure if this has been mentioned already, but from January 2-5, Jupiter and Uranus will be seen together in telescopes and binoculars. This is the last chance to see them so close together (within one degree) until 2038.

I've been watching those two in Stellarium for quite some time now! I've never been able to locate Uranus with my go-to scope before, because I live in a light-polluted area (so I cannot confirm that what I'm looking at truly is Uranus). Hopefully I can get a view of it tomorrow!

Thanks for the info. ive just been observing them in my binos, for once Uranus is easy to find! managed to get a pic as well, nothing special but then again i dont have any fancy equipment, just my Canon powershot and a tripod.

Uranus has trailed slightly becuase i needed to use a longer exposure for it to pick up but im pleased i have a photo of Uranus next to Jupiter.

I checked on stellarium and there is no other stars bright enough for my camera to pick up where Uranis is so there is no doubt ive got it!JupiterandUranuscrop_thumb_thumb-1.jpg

Uranus is somewhat of a "little more than a speck in the sky" for me with my Dob but seeking and finding it is quite easy these days. Thanks for the reminder and the picture.

Isabelle

well thats certainly true but knowing its a planet showing that blue/green hue really makes it feel a bit special considering how far away it is :eek:

Like the Floyd signature!:)

Alan

Just going to say the same, pulse cover is amazing.

the original had a little led light that gave of a pulse of Morse code. gotta love 'em.

as for viewing tonight? no chance! more cloud, and the clear sky that was on the forcast? gone! very annoyed.

There's something about Floyd and the stars. They do go well together don't they? I understand you completely about knowing it is a planet and that alone sending electricity down your spine. I remember spotting mercury for the first time and showing the little "dot" to my husband. I was so proud of myself getting up so early in the morning to see it "just right". My husband just looked at me and said, "You woke up early for that?"

Oh well,... to each their own passions. But yes Nexus,... I definitely know the feeling!

Hello all,

I was out at about 6:30pm to observe the conjuntion and had a good view untill the clouds rolled in. I pushed Uranus to 200x with my 6'' achro and it shows a definate small greyish blue disc! Although it is so small it is a special feeling to see it. You get a good sense of how remote this world is.

I had a squint on Sunday night from Louisville, Kentucky with my small 8x30 binos. Uranus was easily visible. Once you've found Jupiter, Uranus can be seen forming a triangle with 22 and 24 Pisces. Uranus (in binoculars) appears to the north-west (upper right) of Jupiter while the two stars appear to the south of Jupiter (below it)

Was pleased that I was able to spot it with binos. Always figured that I'd be able to, but unless you know for sure what you're looking for, it's easily overlooked. With Jupiter so close, it made it extremely easy to identify the fainter planet.

Even with binos, it's bluish tint could be seen. You don't quite get stars of that colour but, again, unless you know what you're looking for, it's still easily missed.

Archived