Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

pc query

Stevie I couldn't get any info re Bios but pressing f8 got me into a menu with stuff like safe start, start from last good version, debug etc.

I'm afraid I don't know if that's the screen you meant but whichever option I select the screen just goes blank.

The only other info I have is the processor is an Intel Pentium 4.

The F8 key is a windows option and means your motherboard is at least starting up and trying to read the hard disk. If all options there fail it would look to be a disk problem. To get to the bios you need to be hitting either the DEL, ESC or whatever key for your bios is in the first 1 or 2 secs of turning it on. Blink and you miss the bios text!

The bios settings (amongst other things) tell the PC to boot from hard-disk, usb, CD etc. The settings may need to be changed so that a CD/DVD or usb is checked before the hard disk is. You may be lucky and the CD is set for first check - in which case a Linux boot CD from a Linux magazine (in Tesco, WH Smith etc) could be used to check your PC.

Your local PC shop are probably right that a new PC is a better option than trying to fix an old PC but not that it's cheaper than a new motherboard.

If we assume for now that your hard disk is the problem it would need a new/replacement hard disk; a fresh install of Windows and if you are lucky linking in the old disk to be able to read off the old data.

To find out the bios details can you use a mobile phone or camera to capture the boot from power on? Just the first few seconds from switch on till it goes blank.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the Windows Safe Boot screen, which is past the BIOS screen. That's good - it might just be your windows installation or the hard drive which is scuppered.

Try pressing F2 or DEL repeatedly (but don't hold it down) whilst the computer is booting, that usually gets the BIOS up.

It would be my first thing id do for £20 i think its worth a try, but if the hdd is duff your laptop may not "see" it, the way to tell is to boot up the pc and see if the drive is listed in post (black screen with all the writing, checks to see if everything is there)

if its listed there your good to go..:icon_eek:

Glen

edit : just to note you may find you need a ide not sata dock if its and old pc, best thing to do if you are going down this route is to take the drive to the store and ask for a docking station for that type....

This will take both types

DUAL 2.5 3.5 SATA eSATA IDE HDD Dock Docking Station: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Archived