Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pixinsight updated

Just got this email.

The regular free updates that include significantly better tools in many cases are just one of the reasons I like Pixinsight.

Hi Tim,

A new version of PixInsight is now available for all supported platforms: 1.6.9.644 for FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.

This version is an important milestone in the history of PixInsight due to a significant new feature: the PixInsight Update System. Along with this essential feature, PixInsight 1.6.9 includes an integration of the PixInsight Reference Documentation, better system integration on all supported platforms, new multiplatform distributions of the PCL development framework, new and improved tools, and many bug fixes, stability and security enhancements. We encourage all our users to update their current installations as soon as possible.

For a detailed overview of this new version, please refer to these posts on PixInsight Forum:

Integration of the reference documentation:

PixInsight 1.6.5 - Integration of the Reference Documentation System

Update system:

PixInsight 1.6.9 - Update System

Improved system integration on all platforms:

PixInsight 1.6.9 - Improved System Integration

Interdependence of 32-bit and 64-bit versions:

PixInsight 1.6.9 - 32-bit and 64-bit: Two independent Applications

More descriptions of important new features and changes will be posted on PixInsight Forum during the next days. We hope you'll enjoy this new version of PixInsight.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you and yours. We hope 2011 bring happiness for you, and may all your dreams come true.

The PixInsight Team at Pleiades Astrophoto

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

The free updates are the 1.?? versions , But I do not see version 2 coming for more than a year or many years.

we have moved from ver 1.5 to 1.69 in 18 months

So get the money out and get yourself a chrisy pressie :(

Harry

All my money is now spent.............and PixInsight now bought:D

Happy new year everyone.

There is an update to the 1.69 now. Apparently there was a bug

in there too. 1.69.651 is the current one.

I got their email, and uninstalled 1.69, and installed t'other :(.

Fun and games Heh?

First question.............doesn't the update feature just update you to the latest version to save you uninstalling then reinstalling?

:)

First question.............doesn't the update feature just update you to the latest version to save you uninstalling then reinstalling?

:(

I read that any update should be preceded by an uninstall of the previous version, using the uninstall prog. provided in the PI Folder list.

Ron.

I read that any update should be preceded by an uninstall of the previous version, using the uninstall prog. provided in the PI Folder list.

Ron.

Hmmm, I may have had a few too many to drink tonight, well probably 2 bottles of wine and a few Martini and Lemonades but that surely doesn't sound right:confused:

Why the hell should you have to uninstall before you apply an update?:(

Hmmm, I may have had a few too many to drink tonight, well probably 2 bottles of wine and a few Martini and Lemonades but that surely doesn't sound right:confused:

Why the hell should you have to uninstall before you apply an update?:(

Don't ask me, ask Harry, or email Juan at PI Support. I'm only obeying the suggestion made when I went to the download area after logging in to get at the relavent update. Why don't you try without the uninstall first? If it fouls up, then you'll be wiser next time.

Ron.

Hi

The official answer is that You are always meant to uninstall any old software ( from any developer ) before installing new so no wandering files / registry entries go missing and causing problems :D

However I have installed PI many times over the old , but if you do get a problem you know what to do :p

The new update system will work great when new tools , scripts and bug releases for the same are released , but when there is a bug in the underlying system or a major update a full total reinstall will be required :)

and Oh sorry found another bug in the latest version :(:)

Happy new year

Harry

software before

Why the hell should you have to install before you apply an update?:D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived