Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2x Barlow

Hi Folks,

I am about to purchase a Celestron nexstar 127SLT, and would like peoples opinions on a 2x barlow lens. I quite like the look of the Tal (in my price range) or even the skywatcher deluxe, but will it be ok with my scope? I have heard that there are long and short barlows and it is confusing. Help !!!

Also posted in equipment discussion

The Tals are, quite simply, superb. Brilliant optics and bomb proof design.

Sure, you can spend more on a Barlow, but you wont get anything better for the price of the Tal. You'd have to pay a lot more to equal it.

Tal barlows come highly recommended. I had one but I thought it was terrible so used the SW deluxe.

I'm sure this has only helped confused you more ????

Either way if you buy 2nd hand you could get one try it and sell and get the other if need be.

Funny, i had the similiar experience with my Tal 2x. Mine wasn't terrible or duff but i wouldn't have rated it any higher than the Skywatcher 2x Deluxe. The proper Skywatcher Deluxe, not the rubbish supplied with some low end SW scopes. And the Antares 2x i had, which was made in Japan, cost less than the Tal, was better still.

They were on offer for a while......but not anymore, no longer available :)

Ah i have feeling you are thinking of the 3 element 'Apo' barlow. Antares also offered a 2x and 3x 2 element 'Achro' barlow which were also manufactured in Japan. They were on offer for a while at £24.99 and a really nice barlow. Better than the Tal 2x, or at least my sample.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. :)

Ditto!!!

I'm assuming there must of been 2 different types ?? Mine came with the scope 2002 model and I couldn't bare using it even though all my ep's were Tal and should have complemented the barlow. Maybe they improved the design or some thing on later models ?? :p

The big thing about the Tal barlow is that whilst not being the best performer, it is great value for money in budget barlows and much better than the stock ones supplied with the mass produced scopes.

Celestron Ultima and Orion Shorty barlows are probably the next step up in quality :(

(imho of course)

The big thing about the Tal barlow is that whilst not being the best performer, it is great value for money in budget barlows and much better than the stock ones supplied with the mass produced scopes.

Celestron Ultima and Orion Shorty barlows are probably the next step up in quality :(

(imho of course)

Dont think there's any probablies about it.The Ultima and Shorty are definately a step up in quality and well worth paying extra for.

Archived