Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 Orions Nebula - Would welcome any help

swag72

Thanks to all the folks on here, and their help and patience, I have produced my second ever image using my 5D2, Skywatcher ED120 scope and HEQ5 mount. I would really welcome any criticism you have so that I can work on improving my imaging. It's such incredibly early days for me and already I love it!!

5268697475_44ccb43353_b.jpg

Orions nebula - M42 by swag72, on Flickr

This is a mixture of subs ranging from 60s to 5s and including some darks too.

It's a nice picture swag. You've got a lot of clarity there and the trapezium and running man are crystal. Unfortunately I'm **** at processing so can't advise on that. Looks a tad blue - did you use any filters? Someone may be able to suggest ways of adding more colour. But a good snap far as I'm concerned :)

For only your second image, this is very good - there is some good detail, a good balance between the Trapezium region and the outer filamentary areas and some realistic colour.

There is a case for the judicious use of artificial diffraction spikes, I have used them myself on a couple of suitable images but here they are out of place and inconsistent. I would concentrate on extracting more of the natural image from your data for now and you have made a good start.

Thanks for all your help - I think I will go back and look at this one and see what more I can get out of it - Watch this space!!! Couldn't have done it without you guys. Also, keeping an eye out for some cloudless skies so that I can add more subs!! This is a little addictive isn't it?!!

I think you are right Catanonia - I can only liken this to my first non astro pics - I thought they were great, but in truth, they were probably out of focus and badly exposed. Like this, I have gone OTT with the processing and sharpening as it all newly discovered and each movement of the mouse in CS3 bought out another 'Wow, look at this!!' I can appreciate that to you guys this looks over processed, but to non astro folks, they think it's great!!

Definately going to play with this again.

Archived