Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 180 pro and EQ5

bish

I remember picking up and examining a 180. It was surprisngly light and I would have thought an EQ5 could handle it.

If you are intending to do imaging a beefier mount is always better and you would have no problem with an HEQ5 as opposed to the EQ5. My 250mm Newtonian (which is Orion Optics rather than Skywatcher) sits happily on one.

An EQ6 would undoubtedly eat both the scopes for breakfast but they are much heavier and pricier and possibly overkill unless you are considering bigger scopes in the future. My choice would be the HEQ5 for both the 200mm and the 180.

Geoff

Thanks for your replies. I will probably save for a 180 pro as I mainly do visual and am used to the EQ5 just coping with the 200p. I do have a webcam that I will try some basic moon/planets imaging with (I used to do some with my 150p and EQ3 with RA drive). Certainly would like an HEQ5 or EQ6 but will need to save a bit longer for that.

I have a 180 Mak and have used it on both the EQ5 and HEQ5 - its fine on both. The main advantage of the Mak is that the tube is so short! Actually this really does help as the weight of the tube is kept closer to the mount point and thus far more stable. All to do with "moments" - which is why you study them in Physics - I always wondered!!.

Hi Bizbilder,

I notice that you have the 200p , 120mm refractor and the mak. I assume that both the mak and refractor are better performers for planets - which do you consider as the best compliment to the fast reflector? I would like both but need to pick one. Thanks

I have the 180Mak and a ED120. The Mak gives noticable better views (the Ed120 is no slouch though). I do find that the refractor gets used more though due to cool down and the fact I have it mounted on a grab'n'go alt/az mount.

If I already had a fast reflector for widefields and wanted a scope for lunar/ planetary use then I'd go with the Mak/Cass.

Archived