Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 102/ SW80 / 2" wide ep

Rob

I had a great night last night will all my scopes, just crave a wider field to frame those wide DSO's. So I'm trying to decide if i should go for a Celestron 102 Widefield or a SW 80 or just look to grab a nice 70 degree 2" ep?

Any help on a choice here......

Thanks

Rob

Personally if you don't have a pair then I reckon a decent set of 15x70s would be a great addition to your kit. Many of the larger DSOs look fabulous in bins and some even better than in the scope.

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-binoculars/121684-observing-report-6-12-2010-first-proper-test-my-helios-apollo-15x70s.html

I have the Helios Apollo but a lot rave about the Celestron ones.

Ditto what Shane says with the 15x70. The large DSO's are beautiful in the Revelation's.

I wouldn't add another scope, you already have a 150 f5 newt. If you want widefield, just add a quality 2" widefield eyepiece. There's some great deals on the Meade 5000 and the 28mm will give a true field of 2.5deg in the 150. Or 1.9deg in the 200P. That's a big field!

I got a pair of Omegon (=Celestron = Revelation = many others) 15x70 and use them a lot. Still like my Paragon 40mm 2" EP though. For your scope the 30mm would be better, in which case the Paragon is a bit cheaper than the Meade SWA 28. If you can stretch to the Meade UWA 30 or Nagler 31, that would be even better, but also a lot more costly.

In which case just add a good widefield eyepiece to your setup. The Aero ED 30mm is a cracking eyepiece. I know for you, like me, the likes of the Meade 5K 30mm UWA and Nagler 31mm T5 are just pipedream stuff.

In which case just add a good widefield eyepiece to your setup. The Aero ED 30mm is a cracking eyepiece. I know for you, like me, the likes of the Meade 5K 30mm UWA and Nagler 31mm T5 are just pipedream stuff.

If the Aero is indeed a Paragon clone it should be great. Regarding the price of Naglers and the like:

"Had we but world enough and time (=money)"

to paraphrase the bard.

BTW Holding up binos can easily be avoided: get a good tripod adapter. Big binos with 45 or 90 deg viewing angle are even better, but their prices are beyond Nagler range :)

Archived