NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Naked eye sun spot

Phil Fargaze

Earlier this week SpaceWeather.com informed me of a naked eye sun spot. So with my no. 14 welding mask I took a look and could just about detect a spot around the 11 oclock position near the limb. The next day the spot had moved further to the right. Can anyone confirm my observation because I am not normally a solar observer.

I can't help just yet but the reason for my post is that my father made me use welding goggles once to observe a partial solar eclipse about thirty years ago.

Not sure I'd try that these days!

Have you tried looking at the SOHO satellite site? That does have a link to SOHO...

The idiot that I am, I'd try holding up some Baader fim but even that seems like a dodgy idea to me. I'll wait to make up a home made filter with Baader film then use my newt on it.

It's only a 130mm, but judging what I've seen of the moon, observing the sun could be pretty special!

Have just checked the SOHO data and there are two spots, both roughly in the 2 o'clock direction, a small one closer to the centre and a larger one more towards the edge. Seems to make sense if they have moved round from where you saw them but I can't remember how quickly sun spots transit the surface.

Cheers

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, you could always get the Baader Eclipse glasses but I'm not sure if they are any good for anything but an eclipse. I'm not sure I could safely recommend using a welding mask.

I would recommend making up a filter or even purchasing one just so you know you will be safe. And even then you need to be careful, you know, only one set of eyes and all that... Or even a small solar projector and then you don't need to worry about looking directly at the sun.

But yes spot 1131 has been moving across the face from about 11 o'clock and is now around 1 o'clock according to SOHO.

edit: You can go to this page http://sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/soho_movie_theater and set the dates say from the 5th to the 11th of december and chose the MDI magnetogram and it will show a movie of the movement of the sunspots.

It has been mentioned that welding glass number 14 or higher should be fine for a direct view of the sun. Ideally the glass would still be in a welding helmet or sorrounded by an opaque border. Although don`t get this confused with welding goggles which will not provide enough protection. Obviously if in doubt only use recommended equipment.

I reckon then, that certainly was a naked eye sun spot.

Archived