Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Let there be LIGHT! Useful (Red) LED Lightsource.

Macavity

Recently, I have been "lighting up" various mounts, with the aid of a couple of standard items available from MAPLIN UK (I have no commercial interest in this):

L90AN 9v (PP3 type) SWITCHABLE battery box

N04CG Constant current source + single red LED

For those with some modest soldering iron skills, these are an attractive solution. This will pump a constant 30mA through (one or more) red LED's from (whatever) battery source. Basically, I wanted a compact thing, with few discrete components, providing fixed, LOW-LEVEL RED (potentially rechargable!) lighting over ~8 hours, for setting circles etc. THIS setup does the job rather well for me. :)

Might work for "hazard-flashers" too - W/Flashing LEDs? :D

Sounds GOOD, Philip! - 'S long as you're not (seen as) a "hazard to shipping" or something. :sunny:

Aside: Something I have always been after is an IDEA re. the typical Red Dot Finder. I leave these ON, far to often, thereby flattening a LOT of CR2032 cells. Thre is SOME (little) room inside the RDF housing for small components. Or maybe something bigger and external? A micro-swich, delay timer, a "cable release" thingy - Ideas always welcome... :D

Oh boy am I going to be in trouble next time the beast goes out to play... It happened like this:

I had two 5" fans under the mirror and just a couple of wires poking out that I twist on to a battery to cool the mirror. Last night I decided to bite the bullet and install a 12v socket on the side of the box ( :D drill that paint job!) While I was in there doing this I thought it might be an idea to have an LED as wel to let me know the fans were on as they are pretty much silent running. Then I thought that maybe having a light on the side would not be a good idea as I was using a 12v LED. So, obviously, stick one *under* the mirror box! Brilliant! Then, I thought that maybe if I was the other side I'd not see it. So, stick one at each corner, under the box so I can see it from wherever I am... Nice idea so I got on with it. Finally get around to a test and all looks OK but then I turned the workshop lights out... :) Looks like the shuttle getting ready to ignite! Never realised just how bright those 5mm 12v LEDs were...

Arthur

What next Arthur....saw an american dob with a cup holder attatched for a hot toddy on those cold nights. :)

:D Well, I thought of a cigar lighter socket actually... since I'm one of those dirty stop-outs that still insist on smoking. Might save my night vision! Trouble is, the CD player would slow down when I use the lighter...

Arthur

Archived