Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fireball 8th Dec

I see there are a lot of reports on the web about last night's fireball.

I'm NOT a Daily Mail reader (I feel I really must stress that!), but I stumbled across this report on their website.

Dazzlingly bright meteor hurtles through the skies above Britain | Mail Online

As you can see, the photograph is clearly of a comet (I recognise it, but can't remember which one), not a meteor. When will they get it right? The public so often thinks that a comet whizzes across the sky!

Seen this as well in Edinburgh looking south at 5:35pm approx, jaw hit the floor it was like something straight out a disaster movie

It must have been massive and very high if it was seen in the south of England!!

I'm interested in just how big a meteor this was - my brother saw it as he was coming home from school late, and from his description, it sounded like a big one. I've seen many before, including ones that have crossed the entire sky and exploded at the end, and varying ion trail colours, but I don't think any of them made the news! This really makes me want to stay up all night for the Geminids!

I saw it Wednesday at 18:30 come over east to west. I ran in the house saying I'd saw a UFO. I was polar aligning at the time and poked my head out the obsy to orientate Polaris only to clock out the corner of my eye 2 glowing lights in parallel flying across the sky. Because of the large glow, no usual light trail and way they moved too and from each other I didn't think it could be a meteor. Thank god it was in the news papers that it was meteors as everyone must have thought I was a nut ranting on about UFOs. The too and fro movement must have been them skiting across the atmosphere. Amazing sight to see either way.

Archived