Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope covered in ice!!

magic77

It will be ok - when your done take it somewhere warm but not hot and lay it flat, leave the dust cover off if possible (if you have a cat make sure the cat cant get at it :) ) and just leave it to defrost/dry off overnight. It will be fine.

All scopes get wet sooner or later so dont panic if you see water forming on a mirror, it happens to every reflecetor sooner or later and no harm is done.

Just dont put the scope near a fire or anything mad to warm it - the thermal shock could cause problems to its mirrors. Just a room temperature environment is good for drying it.

Thanks for advice, my minds at ease now!!..was panicking for a bit..Just come indoors now after getting great views of Jupiter, M42(looked amazing, im buzzing!!)and general obseriving with scope instead of Binoculars...Just getting used to moving it about etc..It was -6 when i came in..But didnt feel cold!!...Up at 5am to see Saturn for first time hopefully....Woooohooooo.....:)

yeah, ice is not a problem on the metal bits of a scope and if like me you bring your cosseted scope inside then it will form condensation on the mirror when it comes inside.

I leave all caps off and the tube at 45 degrees and the same with my EPs actually (I am paranoid about fungus) and in the morning it's all dry and ready to pack away.

and G4YVM yep, still out when it's sub zero - it's often the best time to observe - wrap up and you'll be fine.

I have been having problems with misting over of the finderscope in particular this past week. I keep having to bring the OTA to the back door and getting a hairdryer to blow over it until the mist goes away and the ice melts of the finder's body.

I have been having problems with misting over of the finderscope in particular this past week. I keep having to bring the OTA to the back door and getting a hairdryer to blow over it until the mist goes away and the ice melts of the finder's body.

I have this problem too Tom, I find if I leave cap in the eyepiece end it really helps. I have also made a small form dew shield and this also solves the problem at the other end in most cases.

If you don't have one, I could make one and send it to you as I have some spare foam (or just send a small piece of foam to do the job.

I am currently making some dew heaters for the finders (telrads and optical) as they do seem the most prone to dewing.

The dewshield on my finder is a bit of cardboard held with an elastic band - I've been using it for years. Dewshield on the main scope is camping mat. Cover eyepieces when not in use (cap or box them) and they won't mist so much. If they do then put them away to de-mist. I have a 12V hairdryer and almost never need to use it. Ice on scope is typical in cold weather and not a problem: it's just frozen dew. Note that the ice mainly forms along the top (skywards) facing part of the scope: this is true of dew in general. Hence the advice to keep the scope level when not in use: optics will dew fastest when they're pointing up at the sky - and the surest way to get misty eyepieces is to leave them exposed on an eyepiece rack. If you use a rack then cap the top of the eyepieces while they sit there. A dewshield works by physically shielding optics from the sky, thereby reducing radiation from the glass (thermal insulation plays no part - we use camping mat only because it's convenient and holds its shape). An analogous way to reduce ice on a scope (if you wanted to) would be to put something over the top of the scope, or observe under a canopy. I've heard that the battery-powered heated gloves sold in Maplins etc can be used to make dew heaters but I've never felt the need.

Thanks for putting my worried little mind at rest everyone, I dont want to damage my new baby!!...Done what you all have advised...I love SGL, id be lost and worried sick without all your vast knowledge and informative tips...Thanks.:)

Archived