Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RE: SEB outbreak.

oldfruit

Hi guys, dont want to sound silly but i was observing Jupiter last night and the seeing was pretty poor. I could however make out a faint and very thin belt where the SEB used to be and it extended all the way across the face of Jupiter. It was roughly the same distance the other side of the equator as the NEB.

I have seen some images and the odd report of an outbreak of the SEB but not much in the last few days.

Has anyone else been observing Jupiter lately and could you confirm that this is what i was seeing.

Thanks.

Mark.

Not had a clear sky for weeks now but may get a chance to view this tomorrow night hopefully. But it does sound like it's coming back now. Hopefully someone else can confirm your report. I'll be eager to check it out tomorrow though and report back.

I had a quick look last night but our clear spell lasted 10mins. Not enough time to study the planet or find the sweet spot with the magnification. Although it was enough time to notice the seeing was poor and 150x (or less) was probably the limit. Couldn't see any sign of the 'outbreak' in that time. Will try again tonight...hopefully!

The SEB outbreak is definitiely picking up pace. I was out early yest evening and saw as you saw - a thin dark line extending right the way across the face in the position of the southern component of the SEB, defining its edge. This ran from the main outbreak feature, which was more substantial. There was also a northern spur to it, but much fainter.

Here is a sketch I made: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-sketches-unconventional/121686-jupiter-7-december-caught-act.html

I was able to observe Jupiter from Tenerife over the last couple of weeks under good conditions and certainly saw what appeared to be a revival of the SEB, at certain points of the rotation a noticeable "smokey" band stretched across the full diameter, C8 x250. I also observed Saturn on the morning of Dec 14 under good conditions but failed to see the new "storm" feature, possibly not on the visible side at the time.

There was about a 30 minute break in the clouds 2 nights ago when i observed Jupiter, the image wasnt sharp at higher mag but I distinctly saw a long thin wavy black line which looked broken half way along - where the SEB should be...

SEB definitely taking a more recognisable form now. Dark line right across the disk with knots in it on the southern edge. A fainter more spread out line on its northern edge, and in the middle there is a faint shading that separates it from the background zones

Archived