Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon EOS Utility

Hi all,

I have recently bought a Canon 500D, and as you may know it comes with Eos Utility... This is a great program, and works very well...

I have a laptop (with a really bad battery) and a netbook, that seems to go on and on. I have installed this on to my laptop and it works fine, but when i try to install it on to my netbook, i cant.

It informs me that my netbook screen res needs to be changed to a setting that it can not display, There is not an option for it, as the netbook can not handle/display such a resolution.

Has anybody got any ideas, or any other software that is kind of the same, but cheap.... I cant use the lappy at my dark site as the battery will not last, so it has to be for my netbook.

Thanks

Keiran

Does your netbook have the facility to have the desktop at a higher resolution than the screen and then let you scroll around the desktop? A while ago I had my desktop at something silly like 3000x2000 but a monitor resolution of 1024x768 and just scrolled around it like I would an RTS game.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Normally the external monitor can be configured in several different ways , it can clone the netbook display (in which case it would be the same res) or set up for extended desktop or be used on its own ... in these modes you can normally select different resolutions...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/HP-Mini-110-screen-resolution-problem/td-p/85175

it should go up to a max of 1400x1050

Yes.. I was expecting that too after seeing that thread. All I seem to be able to find is an option to have both displays as a mirror or select monitor 1 (netbook) or monitor 2 (external). I don't see an option to extend.

On any of the options it's a max of 1024x600.

I'm thinking it's a limitation of the integrated intel graphics. Its using the max 256mb of shared mem running under Win 7 starter.

I've tried a couple of flat panels.. also installed drivers.

I see the APT thread has gone now. was having a search to see how that runs on netbooks. Was hoping to keep the footprint down. Just use the netbook for capture with EQMod, CdC & PHD

Try APT

Think this link must be wrong. Tried to access it and got the following message:

Demonperformer, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

There are some advanced options that allow you to set a screen size larger than your monitor supports, you then can scroll around using your monitor as a "window" onto a bigger desktop. This allows you to install the program before you change your screen size back again.

I'll have a look at the exact buttons to press when I get home.

But I'd still use APT (free or bought version) personally anyway.

I see the APT thread has gone now. was having a search to see how that runs on netbooks. Was hoping to keep the footprint down. Just use the netbook for capture with EQMod, CdC & PHD

That's my setup.

My netbook is an Acer One (ZG5 model) with 1.5GB of RAM running Windows 7. It runs all of the above just fine and APT runs very well - perfectly at the native resolution 1024x600. CPU is an Intel Atom N260.

OK.. one to watch out for .. doh

Crawling around under the desk I overlooked I'd grabbed an old VGA cable that was missing pin 9.. so the PNP wasn't detecting available features of any of the monitors I tried. I use the HDMI and DVI ports on them so hadn't noticed.

Anyway.. my overlooking the basics of fault finding got me looking at APT which looks good. :)

You can force the netbook to use a higher than normal resolution under the advanced options in properties > screen settings. Select adaptor and there is a tick box to unhide the hidden modes. Set the screen to 1024x768, install the software and then reset the display.

I've also recently found a registry tweak that will allow the Canon software to be installed without the CD which is useful as I rarely know where my original disks are lol

Archived