Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar-100ED refractor vs SkyMax-150 Maksutov-Cassegrain

"Hi there from darkest northwales! the skywatcher is a good telescope on double stars, good on the planets very good on the moon i would recomend the 100mm ed apocromatic refractor:icon_salut:

I have always seen the 150 to be a bit of a no mans land scope, not portable like the 127 mainly due to the mount, i think the 150 needs a eq5? then not the punch of the 180 pro.

I would go for the 150 over the ed... the 150 is gonna be better on planets and moon..

I don't think either is going to be great for DSO's compared to say.. an 8" reflector

I agree with CGolder - the 150 mak will outperform the 100ED but i) will take a lot longer to cool down and ii) will need some form of dew prevention. The 100ED will show a wider FoV for DSO's but it's aperture will limit what can be seen. Swings and roundabouts I guess :)

You might find the 100ED get used more often if you have to keep the scope in the house - it can be a "grab and go" instrument.

from recent experience i can say that the mak will have a fairly long cool down time but the ED will be more or less grab an go, best advice would be to go to your retail outlet and have a good look at both models, im sure one or other will appeal more than other

I the Black Diamond gaurantee Schott glass used in the non-ED element. Prior to that I think Skywatcher may have sourced that part from more than 1 supplier (inc. Schott) but didn't use to name them on the scope.

I think, sample to sample differences aside, the optics in the different coloured models will perform the same.

Archived