NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

venus and saturn nov 28th

neil phillips

Not Great but shooting over houses in the winter isnt good. transparency was also low which meant saturn was difficult. venus was shot through clouds. ( never done that before ) In UV. Using the Astrodon filter. the poor signal meant i used a little gamma which i think has caused the fuzz. Still its a start. even if a shakey one After seeing the effect the IR had on Riks saturns over straight rgb. i have to get another i think. will be usefull for the poor seeing on both saturn and venus

venus UV 06:59 UT

5231821598_366c1169a0_o.png

saturn red channel 05:19 UT

5217078122_265ea970e2_o.png

5216615453_a91932679b_o.png

DBK colour 05:42 UT

5231814138_d9876f878f_o.png

The Venus image looks like it may have some shading trying to show but its struggling so as phase gets more you might get some UV detail. Shame Saturn will only make 33 degrees next year and as rings open it becomes lower from UK too.

JohnH.

Beautiful images Neil, even with the problems of poor transparency and heat from the houses. Venus and the colour Saturn are my favs.

Btw the seeing this morning down our way was dreadful. Complete contrast to a few days ago.

Nice images. As for the IR for Saturn I used Pro Planet 742. Planet is dim, but the new ccd make it looks ok at around 1/30-1/20 sec at ~f/28. For Venus I mainly use RG1000 which is even darker as it passes longer wavelengths - and also can be used for the night side hunt. Cheap and can be found at uqgoptics.com (and other filters).

Not a great year in the uk for saturn Freddy. and really bad presently. But im confident things will improve more than this for sure. Will be interesting to see by how much actually. But im hoping a lot, as was the case with jupiter early on and low down. Maybe some storms might be imaged.

Archived