Advice on this telescope for hubbys xmas present.

Hi Guys and Girls. So my husband has been a big space fan for years, loves watching all the programs got loads of books and would just love to have a telescope. Were not made of money so kinda on a limited budget we usually spend around 100 on each other at xmas but this telescope is 160 think its worth the extra money if I get the right thing. Would love peoples advice on whether I should go ahead and buy this, Get paid on Thursday. Thanks not a clue myself, if anyone has any other scopes that they think are better for similar money can't really afford to pay anymore of know where i could get this cheaper be grateful. Thanks

Skywatcher 130P Telescope (10712)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the replies I will check out the other scope listed above regarding the one 40 pound cheaper same, just been looking up the difference between the 650 lense on the one I was intending the buy and 900 on the cheaper one, I think that's why its cheaper. I do not know what the difference is myself so read on another forum that people recommend definately getting the 650.

The difference between the two 130 scopes is the type of mirror used. The cheaper 900mm focal length scope uses a spherical mirror. the more expensive '130P' has a parabolic mirror of 650mm focal length. The longer the focal length, the more magnified an eyepiece will be. So a 10mm eyepiece in the 650 will give a mag of 65x, whereas the 900 will give 90x. A parabolic mirror is neccesary in larger faster scopes in order to bring all the light to focus on one point and avoid spherical abberations. A parabola mirror will show more coma than a spherical. In this scope the speed and size of the mirror mean that a parabolic mirror is not neccesarily a problem, in my opinion. there are actualy some advantages that i can see in choosing this scope over the 'P' version if you are a beginner. First i think the focal length is a better choice for a first scope at 900mm, being a better choice for lunar and planetary viewing over the 'P' which is after all what most beginners would like to view first. At 5 inches aperature it is also a capable bright DSO scope. A spherical mirror is also less harsh when the scope is out of collimation and will give still decent views if not properly aligned. It is also easier to get it back into collimation again than a parabolic. If it were my choice and funds were limited. I'd save £40 and spend it on a couple of 'Plossl' eyepieces to either replace or complement the supplied ones.

Stephen

The Explorer 130P / EQ-2 is great value, as good as you'll get for the price. It isn't perfect, but then what is. The biggest issue is that the eyepieces supplied aren't really up to the job of working with an f/5 mirror - but then eyepieces that are tend to cost as much as the whole 130P / EQ-2 package. Each.

The Explorer 130 is very very ordinary. As well as the compromised (spherical) optics, the tube is much longer, giving the mount a harder job to do ... and the EQ-2 really isn't up to it.

Sorry some of that was confusing for me, after advice from yourself and another forum I think I'll stick with my original choice. still don't quite understand the 650 or 900 bit, but just been informed the one with 650 lenses won best in its range. Hopefully its not a dud present and he can upgrade the mirrors etc over time to make it better.

Definitely not a dud pressie whichever option you go for. I think the P version will be better in the long run.

The other really good pressie you can give him is free. Give him the link to this forum and tell him we like questions!

Also, don't let him be a mono out in the garden at midnight, join him out there with a flask of coffee and take in spectacular views of Saturn, Jupiter, the moon, the Orion Nebula and dim distant galaxies. There's a whole universe out there to explore! Better than have him come in and warm his feet on you at 2.00 in the morning.

Slimbrunett, there is something odd about the photo that your link points too. Either the tube is too long or the focuser is in the wrong position. I think it might have been photoshopped at some point. The Explorer 130p is actually shorter than the picture suggests.

Step_hen is right, he is saying the longer tube 130 doesn't need a parobolic mirror so not having one is not a disadvantage. Fortunately, whichever version you choose, your husband will have a fine present :)

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies I will check out the other scope listed above regarding the one 40 pound cheaper same, just been looking up the difference between the 650 lense on the one I was intending the buy and 900 on the cheaper one, I think that's why its cheaper. I do not know what the difference is myself so read on another forum that people recommend definately getting the 650.

Longer term I'd definitely prefer the 650mm focal length scope. But don't forget that you can also have it on the cheaper and more stable Dob mount as the 130mm Heritage Dob. It's essentially optically the same scope.

The usage is different: the Heritage is extremely compact and needs a crate or a solid table, the "regular" 130p has its own mount with tripod (but a lot less stable and you also pay for the mount!)

stephen the pics look exactly the same to me only the one on my link is further away and yours up close, I can not see any difference what so ever? My husband would like a tall scope he would not like the white mount which was on here where you lay on the ground and look though it or have to mount it on a table. My mother in law has a scope which is a tall one like the one in my pics you lean over and look though it, they have no clue about telescopes though just came across there's cheap in an auction my husband loves getting it out when ever we stay over for weekends and is mad on space programs have books etc which is what lead me to the idea of purchasing one for him this year as his present. Thanks everyone.

Hi Guys just found this one Sky Watcher EXPLORER-130P 130mm (5.1") f/650 Parabolic Newtonian Reflector seems to come with more optics / eye pieces and also includes x2 Barlow lens that I couldn't see listed on the original one when I looked back. The price is 10 pounds more. Advice please? looking to buy today. Thanks everyone. Just want to get it right.

P.s the one above included free postage where as the original would also have 7.99 postage on top so no real difference in price, just want to make sure it is the same scope. After reading over the discription the only extra is the 2x Barlow which makes the lenses more by maginfying them by 2. I think I should get this one now after reading through again. The Barlow is listed as 29.99 on other sites, would anyone recommend purchasing from this new website. Thanks.

Hmm, Scope and Skies don't have a great reputation for timely delivery. Sometimes they have items marked as being in stock when they aren't.

First Light Optics sponsor SGL but we are all free to recommend other suppliers. I would recommend first light optics. Have a natter with them. You will find them very helpful, they won't push you for a purchase and won't try to pursuade you to buy anything inappropirate. They will let you know if there is likely to be any delay in delivery and their after sales service is second to none.

... the pics look exactly the same to me ...

Looking at the 130p photos again, they both show the same tube lengths but in one picture the focuser and finderscope are set too far down the tube. You can see it in the attached image (both same size).

The unusual picture doesn't change anything. All UK Skywatcher dealers source Explorer-130p telescopes from the same importer/distributer so the telescope should be the same wherever you buy. With it being so close to Christmas it is probably wise to email them first to check it is in stock.

HTH

post-18597-133877507377_thumb.jpg

Archived