Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 190MN DS-PRO

Coco

Am thinking about buying one of these or an OO CT8

I notice that there is a small group of users developing on here, just wondered what the general feedbacks been and has anyone used a CT8?

I didnt want to sell the meade frac but the 314 and filter wheel catch inside the obs.. am hoping with the camera under slung it will be fine.

Cheers

Guy

The people I know with 190MNs are very happy with that scope and produce stunning images with it. Apparently it's surprisingly good for visual as well.

No experience here with the OO but I'm sure it's a fine instrument too.

I think Peter Shah is the Man to speak about the OO. But I know the Astrograph is making you itch ;)

Nadeem.

:D shut up

Phil picked the Meade up last night so I'll order one of Steve later :)

I considered the OO CT but IMO it was too expensive and still needs a coma corrector and all that entails in getting the spacings right, having tried many telescope designs for imaging I feel the Mak Newt ticks all the right boxes for me and is the one scope that makes me feel I don't need more!

It has aperture, good imaging speed, no need for correctors - less glass has to be better and it is well built at a nice price point.

When you say you can image with the 190MN without correctors, does that include DSLR sized chips, or 8300 based CCD cameras? If not, what would be the maximum chip size before correctors (focal reducers?) are required?

The point of the Mak-Newt is that that it's already corrected. The glass at the front of the scope is essentially a full aperture corrector so the image should be flat right across the illuminated field which the size of is determined by the secondary mirror. WRT to using a reducer, the MN190 is already running at f5.3 so it's quick enough for most people!

Tony..

The point of the Mak-Newt is that that it's already corrected. The glass at the front of the scope is essentially a full aperture corrector so the image should be flat right across the illuminated field which the size of is determined by the secondary mirror. WRT to using a reducer, the MN190 is already running at f5.3 so it's quick enough for most people!

Tony..

Even though I only use it for visual, I can confirm what Tony says from my experience with my 6" F/5.9 mak-newt (which used to be Tony's :)). Visually, it's coma-free even with Nagler and Ethos eyepieces which makes it a pleasure to use it with such items of course ;)

I've seen Steve's image before but it is even better than I remember. look at the tight stars in the Running Man and then have a cruise round on the web. Yes, the image is world class, is it not? Have your credit cards ready and twitching...

Olly

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Same here. 190MN and a NEQ6 arrived last week. I've just finshed making a dew shield / shade out of black camping mat and had enough left over to make some end caps for storage. I've hunted high an low for a suitable case for the 190MN and found this Boschma Trunk, its just the right size, sturdy and looks good value at £89. Should be here next week, so will post a picture or two with the scope in it.

Archived