Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

iPhone User? Star Walk

I've just downloaded the Star Walk app for my iPhone. It's basically Stellarium - but without the hassle of lugging a laptop around outside :)

It can locate your position by the iPhone's GPS and you can aim the phone at areas of the sky. It shows you exactly what you're looking at and even tells you a bit about it.

Might want to dim your screen though, so as you don't kill your night vision in the process ;)

It's £1.79 from iTunes and I've found it really handy.

I'd just like to add, I have used this, but find 'Pocket Universe' alot easier to use, and i think it is a far better app all together... I have also bought 'StarMapPro', and that is a great app, but for £12 its alot of money, and 'Pocket Universe' is almost the same app.... hope thats of some use?

Keiran

Hi try skisafari also, excellent app with lots of features, I use it to control eq6 and helped me find lots of dso! Also useful when manually finding using eq5 mount. Between that and pocket universe, excellent resources to help navigate night sky.

Pocket Universe works well for me. Star Walk, hmmm. It might just be me but I can't get that app to work at all. It is unresponsive to my touch and doesn't know which way I'm pointing - even after telling it. Pocket Universe always knows which way I'm pointing and shows the names of the objects in front of me.

yes i bought the accessory - you can get for about £120 if order from america. They are also due to release a cable to connect directly to scope too. Its a bit costly but great for visual observing as dont need laptop outside and can navigate quickly and easily to objects without tripping over wires. Also used for astro imaging, works fine too. great for helping find those >10 magnitude clusters/galaxies etc

Archived