Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maplins shopping spree!

I'm about to order one of their flight cases for £19.99 (Order Code: N70AP) to hold my bits and pieces together, I already have the 5-in-1 power tank so I'm wondering if there's any other little gems people have found there that I could add to the order, only £15.01 away from free delivery (it's only £2.99 but it's the word 'free' that one simply can't ignore! Hook line and sinker, that's me).

I use a mains to 12v DC psu when at home - trailed out to the scope on the end of an extension cable. (saves the battery pack for out in the field). It's a luxury but fullfills your criteria of wanting to spend another £15:

12V 5A Cigarette Socket Power Supply : Cigarette Socket Power Supplies : Maplin

(The page says £22 but it was £15 in store when I got it a few months ago).

Well, you can never have too many torches, or rechargable batteries for them. Maplin have a head mounted torch - I have one (not from them) and it's very useful as you keep both hands free. They also have a "clip on" torch which I might just put on my wish-list.

Shame they don't sell red film :)

Universal 3A DC Power Supply : InCar Power Adaptors : Maplin

Try the above power supply - useful from 1.5v through 12v for "accessories" like torches, sketching lights, light boxes, calculators..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This looks handy actually, if I don't use it with the telescope I might use it in the car.

Ordered using the £3.00 off voucher code, thanks for that; not a lot but it's the equivalent of a free lunch at Greggs!

Be mindful that the Maplins mains powered 12V/5A adaptor has a built-in fan, and I found the noise that it made far to much to bear when sitting outside in the peace & quiet with my scope - it drove me nuts.

Does anybody know of a decent (e.g., 5A) 12V adaptor which doesn't have a fan? I'd really like to get an adaptor but like Martin, the peace and quiet is quite important for me.

To me Maplins rates down there with Hellfrauds (Halfords). I have had 2 things not work and tried to return them for a refund, each time they initially refused as I had left it more than their 28 day return policy and would only offer a credit note. Only the threat of Trading Standards, as this was clearly a breach of consumer law, resulted in a refund.

In the 80s they used to be really good but are now just glorified China sourced box pushers.

The place I use far too much is CPC. They have a much better stock than Maplin, are generally cheaper and they really do deliver next day. Highly recommended. The only downside is that there is so much stuff you never realised you needed (well wanted) :)

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Must say that's not really been my experience of Maplins, they delivered to me next day and when I needed to return something it was collected the very afternoon on the day it had been delivered (it was damaged in transit - I phoned their returns department immediately and the same courier guy came back for it a few hours later), I had a replacement the next day.

I agree about the China exports thing though, but isn't that the case for so many of our chain stores these days? It's actually become hard to find consumer electronics not made in China.

I have ordered from CPC before, they have some very good lines at silly (cheap) prices, I'll never buy an electronic accessory from Comet as long as CPC sell a perfectly good unbranded equivalent at a fraction of the price!

Archived