Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using Log Books

Buzz Lightyear

I really ought to start making logs. I like using computers and can see their advantages: it's easy to re-format everything and automatically generate summaries. However, I find it hard to go back and browse computer records as I would a log book. They're impersonal. It's also easier to include quick sketches when writing on paper. Perhaps I will try having a field book and an observing log into which I transcribe everything. Have just grabbed a blank Mead composition book (thanks, Talitha!) and will see how I do... Woke up early to see Saturn this morning. Should add that to the log!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My log that I attached on the previous page wage written and intended to be printed out and notes to be then handwritten onto it and then filed away for reference. It doesn't seem to like being typed on, especially the lines which is simply a table with one column per row with the borders removed and only suited for writing on.

I am maybe thinking of typing up my logs on a computer instead with a proper template instead of handwriting them out. This brings up a problem because if I am to type them up as I observe I have to bring my bulky laptop out with me which weighs quite a bit and has appalling battery life of little over an hour which is no good if I am out for 2 hours or more on a long stint.

What do other digital people do, do you remember your sights until you can write them down permanently or take quick notes of your observing and write up a full report from there?

I sometimes find myself too busy sometimes observing when out in the field, especially when cloud is near, to take down notes of what I am seeing and wait until I come inside to do a write up. If I continue doing this I might end up forgetting details that might be important before I write them down.

• 3 years later...

For years I used an A4 hardback notebook but as I now find I can't read my own writing I'm trying the log facility that came with Skysafari Plus. I also keep notes on scope maintenance etc so If anyone can recommend a suitable Ipad app for this kind of thing I'd be grateful.

I use my iPad note section. After each observing session I pack away and wright down what iv seen , where I started , time , viewing conditions .

Works for me and easy to follow :-)

Thanks. I haven't used the built in Notes app yet so Inwill give it a try.

Starting a logbook/journal was one of the big steps forward in 2013. I also got some good sketching pencils and black paper. My approach is more a scratch book with no particular logic and order to it. Perhaps its representative of my approach to the hobby but I have fun, who cares?! Here's a sample page from a recent visit to the desert:

post-26205-0-98044700-1389559321_thumb.j

Neat ! I use a spiral A5 notebook includes drawings and photos. Has been very useful , for instance showing folk the disappearance of one of Jupiter's belts.

It's great to look back to the last years observing and just something tangle able to come away with and show what is possible,Nick.

post-6974-0-31316800-1389563082_thumb.jppost-6974-0-48468300-1389563215_thumb.jp

For about 14 years now I have kept A4 diaries (day to a page) as a sky log book, with inserts front and back of

all objects I have observed with years and months etc 9printed from my computer).

When I observe I log scetches on the day of obs, conditions, seeing and opticals used, time out-time in ect.

When I do not observe, I record in a general way what the weather was like that day and eve.

That way I have a record of what I have seen, and a quick way of finding past obs and comparing them with new, or

simply of knowing if I have observed a certain object before or not.

They simply sit on my bookshelf, year to a book.

If I complete more stuff than that which I can record on 1 page I simply glue/pin another sheet onto that day,

I also glue in finder charts for Comets etc into "non-obs (cloudy day) pages so all is out with me in one volume.

Last year one of the Universities asked about clear skies in my location, and I was able to give them usefully clear nights

records at my home going back some years.

I can also scan in a page and send it away if the need arises.

It works for me........

Clear skies        Mick

I couldn't resist - here's some of the latest of mine. I'm glad I'm not the only one that logs things like owls, foxes and bats too.

Nice one, Andy! I was a lot more descriptive about local wildlife in a recent report but no one seemed to like it so might leave those non scientific details out in the future ;) All the same it's fun to make a note of what makes an impression during a session. One thing I forgot to put in the log last time was the absolute silence when the birds weren't sounding off. No highway noises........cool!

Archived