Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone capture Space Debris in their Images ?

celestron8g8

I just sent some images to NASA Space Debris program where they keep up with space debris . I think i captured some in some of my images over this pass weekend . I think it maybe debris from the satellite collision from back a yr or so ago . Anyone here or know of someone who has captured Debris in their images and has a image to share or link to where an image is ??

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh My Bad guys/gals :) , Sorry ! These are not the original size , they are cropped out of 5o% . They haven't been edited cause when i do it makes the evidence disappear :) . These are 3 of the main ones that was closest to the M42 . Let me know what you think . Remember they not very good and un-edited . Also just so happened that right in between the #33 & #36 i took 2 dark Frames :p so missing these two .

post-21938-133877503024_thumb.jpg

post-21938-133877503031_thumb.jpg

post-21938-133877503039_thumb.jpg

If you have the exact time you can check with programs like Starry Night to see if any satellites passed through the field of view. These sort of trails happen quite often with many subs on an imaging run being 'spoilt'. If you have enough frames you can still use them if you do a sigma stack.

Regards

Kevin

Very interesting indeed, space debris seems quite plausible... How long were the subs?

Each image was 5-mins , and i took 2 DF 5-min each before the last image here . So from the first image until the last image is approx. a little over 25-mins .

Just out of interest, how do you tell the difference between a functional satellite and a piece of space junk?

They should be similar in size and colour, and the former will be come the latter when it stop working.

To determine it properly i have to wait til i hear from NASAs' Debris dept.

If you have the exact time you can check with programs like Starry Night to see if any satellites passed through the field of view. These sort of trails happen quite often with many subs on an imaging run being 'spoilt'. If you have enough frames you can still use them if you do a sigma stack.

Regards

Kevin

Don't have Starry Night but satellites do not fly in groups . Also I have a total of 22 images with at least one piece of Space Junk in the image some have two and they are flying alone not grouped like these are .

Some satellites do travel in groups. I was researching the other day after I saw something strange and there ate several groups of satellites whizzing around up there.

Google the noSs triplet and cluster satellites. Sorry I've not linked myself im on my iPhone at work.

Your pictures look like noss triplet pictures I came across :)

Some satellites do travel in groups. I was researching the other day after I saw something strange and there ate several groups of satellites whizzing around up there.

Google the noSs triplet and cluster satellites. Sorry I've not linked myself im on my iPhone at work.

Your pictures look like noss triplet pictures I came across :)

First time i ever heard of the NOSS satellites . And first time i heard they were in groups . So i did Google and found images here :

Kevin Lee's Home Page

Other than this other places i read mentioned the satellites were approx 10-degs apart and from the distance i was shooting and looking at the Orion Nebulae was less than a 1/2 deg between M42 and the Running Man .

Now since you did mention this and i did google it i'm not going to say there is a possibility they are the NOSS triplet unless the scientist from NASA replies and verifies that they are the NOSS triplet but also i'm not going to say they are not the NOSS triplets incase it's verified they are . So as of now they have to stay as quoted Space Debris til i hear from NASA .

But i will go further to mention this . Most statements say they were able to see the clusters traveling as you stated in your post . I must mention that i was out at the scope the majority of the time during these exposures and i think being after midnight and dark that had these been the triple NOSS you would think i would have also seen them since most who mentioned them did see them . I can see satellites at night from my backyard and they are dim but i can definitly see satellites . But I did not see these at the time of exposures while standing close to my scope .

Ok everyone i have a BIG APOLOGY for you all :) , i may just give up and never image again ;) . After going back and checking properties on these images turns out they are only 120-secs (2-mins) each for these 4 including the Dark Frames . Taken 11-14-2010 , between 12:30am - 1:00am , @ 800 ISO . I feel so STUPID right now ! I really do tho have alot from this session that are 5-mins but not these here :D . I did this for stacking purposes . I may give up imaging now ... , this is imbarassing ... Sorry everyone . But another fellow imager that is pretty much up on these satellite things say they are more likely going to be Geostationary Satellites and is doing more research to find out which ones these probably are . Hope everyone forgives me for wasting your time ... , NASA will never answer me now and never will in the future i guess for giving wrong info .... I'm DOOMED :( !

Well i went back and checked all my emails to NASA and the info i sent on each image and i have a PLUS , i didn't mention anything to Mr.Johnson about them being 5-mins long so at least there is one step before i fall off the latter.....

Wouldn't worry mate.

Firstly, you sparked everyones interest and got us thinking.

Secondly, (a rare thing now-a-days), you put your hand up to a mistake (politicians take note!)

and, thirdly, we are still dying to know what they are.

So cheer up and stick with it, we are supposed to make mistakes - that's how we learn. :)

Wouldn't worry mate.

Firstly, you sparked everyones interest and got us thinking.

Secondly, (a rare thing now-a-days), you put your hand up to a mistake (politicians take note!)

and, thirdly, we are still dying to know what they are.

So cheer up and stick with it, we are supposed to make mistakes - that's how we learn. :)

Thanks Darkly , i appreciate the kind words . I'll definitely post if they get back and let me know .

Don't worry about it!

If you'd shown me those pictures a couple of months ago id probably have thought they were aliens! At least you had the common sense to assume it was something sensible like space debris :)

Still exciting pictures , whatever they are. I'm still buzzing from seeing my 'satellite formation' on Monday morning even though I don't seem to be able to find out what they were. I wish I'd got a picture!

Don't worry about it, it's still quite a rare occurance you've captured - 3 satellites travelling together!

Still quite slow for satellites I would say. But certainly not geostationary, they would be dots ;)

Don't worry about it!

If you'd shown me those pictures a couple of months ago id probably have thought they were aliens! At least you had the common sense to assume it was something sensible like space debris :)

Still exciting pictures , whatever they are. I'm still buzzing from seeing my 'satellite formation' on Monday morning even though I don't seem to be able to find out what they were. I wish I'd got a picture!

I'm trying , i hate making stupid mistakes on my part ... :D .

not stupid mistakes, learning opportunities LOL, at least thats what I call my daily trips to the fup farm

my missus has a much better, varied, descriptive and mainly unprintable list of words describing my daily activities.

The first thing that came in mind for me, since I'm into anything aviation, is that it could be an airplane. Since there are three trails, the two outer most would be the strobes on the tips of the wings and the middle is the strobe on the belly. But I could be wrong. I had same trails in my M42 11-11-10 photos.

I live near the San Francisco Airport, for me I live under the flight paths of the airlines that are going to LAX or international flight coming to land at SFO. Do you know if you live under any flight paths.

Archived