Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone capture Space Debris in their Images ?

celestron8g8

We have a pretty busy airport 8 miles away and there is high flying jets all the time late at night but when i'm imaging i can see them usually and i either shorten or stop my exposure before they cross the FOV if thats where they are headed . However i did shoot at 200mm so that closes the gap quite abit for most anything to cross my image path except for those that i can't see . But if you notice in these images the streaks are too dim and there is no blinking lights in the streaks so that pretty much leaves out any aircraft in these skies .

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I got a reply from NASA !!! Heres a copy paste of the email for you to read !!

Email :

Mr. Hodges,

The streaks you photographed are almost certainly those of objects in orbit about the Earth. Note that more than 2000 debris from the 2009 collision of the U.S. Iridium and Russian Cosmos satellites are still in orbit and being tracked by the U.S. Space Surveillance Network. I cannot confirm whether or not the objects you observed originated from that event. Note that more than 3000 debris are currently being tracked from the 2007 Chinese test of an anti-satellite device.

Regards,

Nicholas L . Johnson

NASA

Yes i'm excited he replied for sure and confirming they are of space objects but i agree , wish i knew whether or not they are actually debris from one of the two collisions or actually satellites in a group . But what i haven't mentioned is if you look at the image i posted again , above the 3 formation streaks about an inch up there is another single streak .... , kinda interesting don't you think ?? If the 3 group were satellites why is that 4th streak above ?? Inquiring minds want to know !! I added a blow up and marked it if you can't see it in the original .

post-21938-133877503805_thumb.jpg

Archived