Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bresser Skylux 70mm

Hi,

Ive just purchased my first telescope, a Bresser Skylux 70mm. Ive used it the last couple of nights looking at the moon and Jupiter and have to say that im very impressed. I didnt want to spend alot of money on a telescope just incase I didnt use it. So far im using the bresser each night theres a clear sky.

It came with a 20mm, 12mm and 4mm eyepieces. Has anybody got any ideas on how to get the most out of this scope? Ive already been told to get a Barlow 2x and a Plossl eyepiece (although not sure on size??)

Would be interested to know your views.

Hopefully one day I can start to take photos.. just need a DSLR!

Thanks

Darren

A 2x barlow used with your 12mm eyepiece (1.25" fitting in that scope I think) would give a 6mm which would fit in the "gap" in your eyepiece range OK. It would produce too much power for the scope used with the 4 mm eyepiece though.

You could think about a low power, wide field eyepiece as well - a 32mm plossl will show you as much sky as the scope can show you which is nice for the larger deep sky objects like M31 (the grat galaxy in Andromeda).

Other than that I'd just keep using it until you feel the urge to get something larger and that will show you more things.

I started back into astronomy with the skylux 70mm and still use it (had it out today for viewing the sun with a white light filter.) The three eyepieces it comes with are poor and the scope was transformed into something very uasable with a few plossl eyepieces- a 32mm like John mentions was my favourite. the 4mm is a bit too powerful for the scope imho

Stephen

Thanks John and Stephen for your replies. I will definitely look into getting a 2x Barlow and a plossl 32mm eyepiece. I had a quick look on ebay and noticed a number of different Barlows and plossl's.

Are there any online shops that you can recommend as id like to ensure I get the right ones .. ie a good make and well made

Thanks

Darren

You could do much worse than the forum Sponsor - First Light Optics (see their banner at the top of the page).

The TAL 2x barlow costs £35.00 and is pretty decent for that price. A 32mm plossl should be around £30.00 new.

buyer beware on ebay! Click the FLO link at top of this page for top quality products and service. Its hard to recommend anything without knowing your budget though. (I have a Tal barlow for sale but you need 50 posts to see that section- PM me if interested!)

Stephen

Edit- Great minds and all that John!

I found with our Bresser 70 that things improved with a replacement diagonal too. The original (with our 2003 model) was all plastic and poor quality. Grabbed a still relatively cheap Antares 1.25" diagonal for £20 that was quite an improvement.

As John and Stephen have said, replacing the eyepieces helps to realise the full potential of the scope. And all the new accessories can be carried over to a new scope.

Like Stephen, we found our Bresser made an excellent white light solar scope (*****with a full aperture solar filter*****). It turned out to be one of best investments i've made in this hobby, outlasting every other bit of kit i've ever bought.

Thanks again for the responses. Im not sure about budget as I've put them down on my xmas wish list!

Whilst im creating that list.. Id like to get the most out of the telscope and was thinking of filters. Perhaps one for the moon and maybe one for the sun?? Any recommendations?

Like Russ has said the accessories can be carried over to another scope so id like to have a good accessory set :-)

Cheers,

Darren

Just reading the thread, and I'm curious about the advice. Apparently the supplied eyepieces are not very good, so would adding a nice TAL barlow be worthwhile? especially as it is only filling the 6mm slot. Why not just buy a good 6mm EP instead?

I think the barlow was suggested by the OP and the given info was mainly regarding where to have a look at options (FLO!) and which cheap barlow was well regarded. My advice would be to get a couple of plossls or similar to start with, and a diagonal (Russ is right - the original one is poor plastic!)

Sounds like 2 Plossl eyepieces are the answer (32mm & 6mm)

Is there a difference between a Mirror Star Diagonal and a Prism Star Diagonal?

Russ thanks for the moon filter link. Would be interested in the solar link.

With all these extras im hoping to get some good results from the Bresser!

Darren

Hi, Have you considered a copy of "Turn Left at Orion"? It lists one hundred objects to see in the night sky and gives advice on how to find them. It is divided into the four seasons and the authors assume that you are using a small scope. I have a copy but haven't used it "properly" yet as my first ever scope - a 70mm refractor - only arrived this morning.

My copy of this book, 2nd hand and in perfect condition cost me about £15 from Amazon. I think it certainly help you get the most out of you scope.

Darren, contact First Light Optics or your preferred retailer and speak to them about the Solar filter options open to you. It's critical to get it right first time out because of the dangers inherent. I bought the Kendrick solar filter which was made for the William Optics Megrez 72 but fitted the Bresser perfectly.

Archived