Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stronger moon filter?

Whilst the moon is out and confounding DSO work, I've decided to focus in and learn the various features on the moon. I've already have an Orion 2" moon filter which only allows 13% light transmission, but even using this, I still find that my retina is totally bleached out with the strength of light from the moon whilst observing. After 15 minutes it really becomes uncomfortable.

So - are there either stronger moon filters, or do I need some additional filter (colour filters or something similar) to allow me to do prolonged visual sessions of the moon without my eyes getting blasted?

I use a variable polarising filter such as Filters - Variable Polarizing Moon Filter

which can be adjusted to whatever level suits you without introducing any unatural colour. These are two filters in one that rotate against each other to achieve the desired effect. The two halves can be separated so it is possible to attach one half to the diagonal and one to the eyepiece. This way you just have to rotate the eyepiece without removing it to dim or brighten.

I was wondering, from what sort of aperature will you need to consider a moon filter? I'm comtemplating an 8" dob so I've a suspicion I'll be needing a filter too.

The Moon is the brightest object in the night sky and for that reason is an excellent object for beginners to start with. Easy to find, good for experimenting with different magnifications and learning to focus etc.

I'd recommend a Moon filter for any scope and as a first purchase for a beginner. Although you can't damage your eyes looking at the Moon unfiltered, it will ruin your your night vision and can feel a bit uncomfortable.

Or the short answer - YES :)

Archived