Cases for Filters

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a supply of small plastic filter cases. Currently the filters I have got so far all come in different size cases and I would like to standardise of the following case as shown in this photo from Astroboot

Image-14_2010-08-22.JPG

I have looked at quite a few sites but can not find any for sale. Looking to buy approx 10

Can anybody throw me a url for a supplier.

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know it's not until you actually want something you realize how hard it is to find :). Filters in there cases come in abundance but given the brittle nature of plastic you would think someone sold spares.

I could do with 4 cases myself but can only find foam-less alternatives to the standard fit case that come with most filters.

I would assume they cost pennies to make and there's a factory in China with them stacked to the ceiling but you try and find one in the UK at a respectable price once you add postage. :)

Started to look for other uses on ebay and found 2 items that would do the trick.

1) Earring Boxes (Very similar to what I wanted)

eBay WHOLESALE 20 CLEAR LID EARRING DISPLAY BOXES BLUE PADS on eBay (end time 18-Nov-10 11:17:09 GMT)

2) Food storage containers with screw tops.

Ebay 9 New Small Jar Empty Plastic Pot Cosmetic Food Cream on eBay (end time 29-Nov-10 14:16:20 GMT)

I went for the screw storage boxes in the end as they were round and have screw tops, so if I drop the container then at least the filters will not come out.

When they arrive I let you know how good they are. The size is 25mm high and 60mm dia. So should be good for 1.25in or 2in Filters.

AstroBoot

Decided to go with the foam fitted filter case. I can get the 4 1.25" filters in the one tub so no messing with several tubs in the dark. If you buy 3 things of Astroboot the postage is free!! Certainly an improvement over the £11 postage from telescop Express.

I think they have another if you are interested Sniff?

SPACEBOY

AstroBoot

Decided to go with the foam fitted filter case. I can get the 4 1.25" filters in the one tub so no messing with several tubs in the dark. If you buy 3 things of Astroboot the postage is free!! Certainly an improvement over the £11 postage from telescop Express.

I think they have another if you are interested Sniff?

SPACEBOY

I already have a couple of those 72x72 boxes that my IR/UV filters came in but the others I have are as per my original photo but I was not going to spend a £1 per case on Astroboot, maybe 50p

Anyway the round screw contains work out at 55p each.

I know that Astro boot now has (looked today) an ideal 35x35x10 case for 50p but you just do not know how much quantity there is. I presume that there is only 1 item per photo.

Anyway mine are coming and now I can cut the foam in my portable storage cases to carry all 9 pots in snug order, also time to buy a few more filters from FLO as I will have matching cases for them all.

I am going to use a UV marker pen to write the labels as I am going to fit a small UV light in the Obsy and use it behind the scope for EP identification with out having to use the red light everytime etc.

UV is blue though isn't it? From what I understand anything other than red is BAD! something to do with how chemicals in our eyes react to different colours.

I know the tubs are expensive but I was just happy to get a case. I figure it will cost me more to replace the filters is I don't get the protected soon. Besides anything is cheaper than Telescop Express. They have some real good stuff, but cheap they ain't. It would also appear £11.50 is the cheapest postage :)

Let us know how you get on with the cases.

Got the pots today and they are quite good with clear bottoms and white screw tops made out of a soft plastic. Esy to put a small layer of foam into to help cushion the filters.

Only problem was that the ebay auction was advertised as FREE P&P however I had to pay the postage at the Post Office as there was no stamps at all on the parcel.

Can not give negative or neutral feedback until you have contacted the seller but I can not be assed to try and prove that there was no stamps. I took a photo of the parcel just in case but what annoys me is that the items are ok so the only option is to leave positive feedback and then because of the item was supposed to have FREE P&P you can not rate how accurate the postage charges was during the feedback process.

These pots will do the jobs nicely but just be careful if you have to pay the postage at the post office.

what annoys me is that the items are ok so the only option is to leave positive feedback and then because of the item was supposed to have FREE P&P you can not rate how accurate the postage charges was during the feedback process.

I hate the changes eBay have been making over the past couple of years, they are supposed to clamp down on scammers but this just proves how easy it is for a seller to scam buyers by offering an item as free postage - what's a buyer going to do? Send a perfectly good item back (now having paid twice for postage)? EBay and PayPal would probably just side with the seller as the goods did arrive and were as described so you'll always lose. Only option is to put a note in the positive feedback about the lack of postage.

Back to the cases - what about those little individual plastic display cases that mineral samples come in? Must be a lot of those hanging around (from that recent rock magazine which had one taped to the front cover each month for a start - a lot of people will have bought the first issue for 99p).

Hi Luke

If only I had known yesterday. Sniff and I could have had 3 each. Sorted out an alternative now which hopefully works out, but thanks for the offer.

Clear skies

Nick

Sorry about that Nick. I thought of offering them earlier. I didnt think anyone would want them, but they are now going to a good home.

I myself use a filter wallet for my 4 coloured filter,Moon filter and LP filter.

Cyborg.................the cases will be in the post tomorrow.

Them cases do the job great Sniff. You should have opened a dispute against the seller to get a refund for postage cost. Did you contact the seller? I'm just thinking if they sell lots of stuff they may have accidentaly forgot to put a stamp on. I bet it would have only been like 60p?? Unlucky for you though as I know the royal mail like to bang their £1 handling on top. ROBBING B******S

I received my 9 plastic boxes to-day, with postage paid and I have to say they are the bees knees, they take a 2" Baader filter with just a nice clearance, the base is ribbed for easy grip, with a white screw top lid, they appear to be manufactured from a type of strong semi-clear polythene, with foam in the lid and base they will do very nicely indeed. Just to advise you Sniff, it had a white strip label stuck on with my address and postage paid at £1.30 stamped on it, I would definitely take the matter up with the seller, as your label has likely come unstuck in the post it would seem.

John.

Thanks John.

My parcel only had my address on a small sticky label and then every thing else was wrapped all over with cellotape. Of course the only other sticker on the parcel was the Post Office "Postage Not Paid - Revenue Protection"

To be honest it not worth the hassle for £2.51, it cost more in time trying to prove the matter.

I have now cut out 1/4in. foam into circles and placed into the pots. A nice secure fit for the filters.

I have attached a photo of the pots stacked into my homemade foam insert EP plastic Hobby case.

post-21428-133877505119_thumb.png

Archived