Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st attempt with SPC900NC webcam

pritc

I thought I would try my Phillps SPC900NC webcam on a solar image today.

This is my first image attempt..... :)

SW200P with off axis solar filter cell (made from this link)

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/117725-making-off-axis-solar-filter.html

SPC900NC web cam wth Antares #15 yellow/orange filter

1000 frames stacked with Regi-Stax.

Wayne

That's a nice picture.

I'm curious as to why you are using a yellow filter? If you use a coloured filter on a colour camera you are going to potentially reduce the resolution of the camera because the pixels with red and blue bayer filters on them are going to be far less sensitive to yellow light than the green filters in the bayer matrix.

See below for more details of how a Bayer matrix works.

Bayer filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your only reason for using the yellow filter is to colour the final image, then I would shoot the picture in colour or mono, then add a yellow colour in the processing.

Yes, nice shot - same webcam as me - the SPC900NC does a great job.:) I prefer to take the shot without a filter and then add the colour in processing. This itself makes the detail clearer I find. Maybe try one with the filter and one without and then compare? BTW wish I had the wetherview - wind was fair shaking the scope when I was after my moonshots!

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately I couldn't find the photo, wouldn't mind looking at it as I am thinking about doing something similar and would be interesting to see what kind of results I might get.

Archived