Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leonids 2010 viewing

Hi

I am new here and looked around but have not found any threads about this years meteor shower. Perhaps i am not looking in the right place. so many threads to sift through.

I was hoping to get some ideas about any early activity, ZHR at peak(i've heard mixed answers) and peak date/time verification.

A question. Hope someone can answer it.

On November 11th, I was looking south at about 9pm and caught a decent stray meteor.

Is this an early Leonid? or left over from previous?

thanks

Probably a sporadic meteor. The Leonids start on approx the 13th (ish), end on 21st November with the night of the 17th18th being the peak. Trouble this year is going to be the nearly full moon. Best option would be an early start on the 18th, as the moon has set and you'll have near perfect (weather permitting) conditions for meteors. That's my plan anyway. :)

Going to see if I can catch any now that Leo is peeking his head over the horizon. I reckon if I walk to the end of my cul-de-sac then there should be no streetlights in my field of view and theres fields after that.

Anyway lets have a look - can't really stay out all night work tommorow >< !

Orion, Cassiopeia, Ursa Major, polaris, Jupiter have all disappeared from the sky !

Or its cloudy - one of the two. Going to write tonight off, would have stayed up later on the weekend, but looks like the cloud is here to stay - hope others have more success with their leonid viewing.

Archived