Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Broken Focuser

When Simon and myself were installing my the lakeside focuser there was an unusual sound but we were unable to see what it was.

Well now I have found out....

The front two of the bearings which hold the tube in place have got cracked flanges with chunks missing out of them tonight my focuser was slipping so i tightened it a little, there was a crack and the tube with camera attached almost fell out. luckily the rear two bearings are fine and prevented the tube from falling out.

Where do I start looking to get a replacement set of bearings?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Earl, I cant believe its as extensive as that. Is it worth contacting Revelation and having a word? The other option I suppose is to remove one of the other bearings and get some measurements from it and find a bearing supplier. I found one recently as I was thinking of using a lazy susan bearing for the dob.

I'll have a look through my history and see if I can find it again.

There's a universal numbering system and the letters (like zz) normally mean budget metal shield etc

Go here and put in the dimensions on the right:

Bearings - Suppliers of Ball Bearings, Roller Bearings, Bearing King Ltd

I know me bearings and these guys are good. :)

I recently replaced the budget worm bearings on the EQ6 and the difference is massive.

If you have no luck with the Revelation guys you could try emailing one of the companies me and Simon mentioned.

In fact both. Simply Bearings have always been slow to reply for me and Bearing King fast. But both know their field and will likely bag you one of these easily.

No stress Simon these things happen, ill have fun reassembling it all... :)

Ok mate, I know what you mean though....nothing like a bit of tinkering.

Thanks John for the information regarding Revelation, I wasnt sure if it was TH own brand or not.

Archived