Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great Orion Nebula

Abernus

Hi all,

Last night the sky was very clear at 23:30, however the wind was quite strong. I decided to grab my 4" reflector and had a go at trying to locate the Great Orion Neblua. I think I could see the bright stars of the Nebula but could't see any fuzzyness.

Is this what I should expect to see with my scope? I do have light pollution but it's nto that bad. I can visually see "The 7 Sisters" and other fainter stars.

Thanks in advance.

You can see M42 with binoculars so you should certainly be able to see it with your 4" scope unless you have loads of light pollution to contend with. You need your lowest power eyepiece - when I 1st viewed it, many years ago, I used too much power and was rather dissapointed - until the penny dropped that low power was what was needed.

With your 4" scope, you should see a little bit of nebulosity.

I can see a hint of nebulosity with my 15x70 binoculars.

It does require a dark sky to be able to see it.

The quality of the viewing can also largely depend on atmospheric currents, whether the sky is still enough (seeing) and whether the sky is transparent enough.

The position of Orion isn't that high at the time you observed - try again when the nebula is the highest (currently around 2am).

Thanks for the info. I was using my highest mag eye piece. My thought was the closer I get the more detail I will see, obviously not the case. When the sky clears I will try again, and hopefuly I will have less wind to contend with.

.....I was using my highest mag eye piece. My thought was the closer I get the more detail I will see, obviously not the case.....

Don't worry - you are not the first to jump to that conclusion :eek:

Once you have enjoyed the nebula at low power, it's worth increasing the power on the central region and see if you can separate the 4 brightest stars of the famous "Trapezium".

I can see M42 naked eye from a well lit street (standing in the shadows of course). If I then put binocs on it (15x70's) I can just make out nebula - so no probs with a scope - you should see the nebula shape and make out most of the trapezium stars :eek:

M42 should be easily visible with a 4" scope.

Can see it with a standard set of 8x42 binoculars, it isn't big but is obviously a nebula.

As others have said start with a low power, simply to make sure you have it, then move up in whatever steps you can. Somewhere along the increase it will hit a best size and clarity for you.

The 7 sisters are another easy object by eye, depending on the quality of youyr eyes of course (mine are cr@p).

If you find Orions Belt then simply follow it to the right, the line passes an orange star (Aldeberan) then bumps into the M45 open cluster: Pleadies or 7 Sisters. Also called Suburu (check out the car badge). Again use a low power, the cluster covers a fair size.

Archived