Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter from 29th October

vincentnm

Great images....I really like the second one with the moons.

I also have a Celestron 9.25 and a DBK21 camera (is it close to a DFK?)

I am curious as to what settings (codecs, etc.) you are using?

I have tried many times and can't seem to get any reasonable results.

Cannot seem to be able to get a sharp focus...have used uv/ir filter and 2.5x Powermate and always seem to end up with a soft focus and color issues...as per attached.

Thank you for any advice you could shareicon7.gif

post-14962-13387749879_thumb.jpg

I have tried many times and can't seem to get any reasonable results. Cannot seem to be able to get a sharp focus...

Not bad, but C9 should yield better results ( Celestron SCT C9.25 ). What about a visual Jupiter in your C9? Do you see more details than in this picture?

Probably C9 will be my next telescope, so I am very interested about owner opinions.

Great images....I really like the second one with the moons.

I also have a Celestron 9.25 and a DBK21 camera (is it close to a DFK?)

I am curious as to what settings (codecs, etc.) you are using?

I have tried many times and can't seem to get any reasonable results.

Cannot seem to be able to get a sharp focus...have used uv/ir filter and 2.5x Powermate and always seem to end up with a soft focus and color issues...as per attached.

Thank you for any advice you could shareicon7.gif

The C9.25 should deliver better pictures than the ones I have posted.

This is a routine that I use.

1) The C9.25 require's at least 50 minutes of cooling down to ambient temperature. 5 minutes for every inch of aperture.

2) Focus on a star near to Jupiter. Should be on the same side of the meridian. Otherwise mirror flop will ruin your focus. I use a bahtinov mask to focus.

3) Check your collimation every session. There's a free tool, MetaGuide - MetaGuide that allows you to collimate using a webcam.

4) I use IC Capture with my DFK. Settings:

Color format: YUY2

FPS: 30

Format: AVI

Codec: RGB24

Gamma: 100

Exposure: 1/30

Adjust the Gain as high as possible, just below the point where mid-portions of Jupiter gets saturated.

Some people use Y800 at 60 frames per second and then de-bayer in Registax, which is probably better to freeze atmospheric turbulence.

5) Length of Video

Not more than 3 minutes. Otherwise you get rotation blur.

6) While processing in Registax, after alignment, I move the limit bar and reject almost 50% to 66% of the frames. Do not hesitate to throw away a large number of frames. Stacking should require just around 1000 to 1500 frames. More experienced people may quote different numbers.

7) I get rid of colour fringing using the RGB-Align feature of Registax. I do this after wavelet processing.

8) I get a natural colour balance while processing in photoshop. I use levels and chose each colour individually and set the white point where the histogram stops at the right. This automatically gives a natural colour balance.

Archived