Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie needing equipment help

Hi

I'm a noob - just check the post count if you don't believe me!

I've been looking to get a telescope for a few years now and finally have decided to bite the bullet.

I am also buying a dslr and would like to be able to photograph what I can see in the cosmos.

From what I have read I think I need a Maksutov Cassegrains set up but am just overwhelmed with the choice out there. I have a budget of around £400 but would prefer to spend under three if that is possible.

I would like to be able to see the moon, the planets and the odd nebula or two in deep space.

The camera I am buying is probably going to be the Canon 500 or 550d - although that is probably irrelevant.

So, any ideas on what I should be looking at buying?

Thanks

Hi Smeech Been in that same predicament but can highly recommend the sky watcher exsplorer 200p with the eq5 mount for 399.00 or cheaper depends where you get it. This is a lovely telescope and will give you great views of planets nebula other deep sky objects. Its nice balance between the bigger scopes and the smaller ones and having gone for a sky watcher 130 then taken it back for this one craving bigger and better I am very pleased with it. You will find lots of people on this forum who will tell you this is a good telescope. But if your going to get heavily into astrophotography then getting a eq6 mount might become a first priority for you. Having said that this scope and mount is certainly good value for money and you will be able to use it for astrophotography with an SLR camera and get good results. If you have 400.00 to spend then buying the sky watcher 200p will be money well spent and you wont regret it. I have pictures of mine being unboxed and set up in my blog just click the link below to have a look. Hope that helps you..:)

Star Gazing: 10/05/10

I have to agree with Quatermass on the SW 200P. I have had excellent views on planets, nebulae and deep sky objects.

I have the dual axis motors for mine and when I get a half decent polar alignment I can leave the scope for 30 mins or so come back and the object will still be in the FOV.

I am also looking to buy the 500D in the near future to try some astrophotography but at the moment I am learning my way around the sky.

Thanks guys. Think you need 50 posts to view sales items - shame!

Seems as though most would recommend the reflector telescope over the other types. Is it just a better all round scope?

Off course, sorry i posted a link you couldn't see. :eek: It was a Skywatcher Explorer 150 on an EQ5 with dual drives for £300. Included a few accessories too. Would be the perfect setup to get you going. Capable of good visual views and also some simple starter imaging.

Personally I would get the sky watcher 200p with the EQ5 its a great telescope and the mount is rock steady, you can get the drive later or the go to if you really want one. Its good to not have a "go to" mount because it makes you look for those deep sky objects which ultimately is far more satisfying when you find them. Get a 150 and you will want a 200 so you might as well bite the bullet and get an 8inch mirror from the start.

I'm just speaking from personal experience here but I dont see the need for a go to equipped mount when you get a new scope what you want is a good solid mount and decent aperture and some decent eye pieces. The 10mm 25mm and 2x Barlow you get with the sky watcher 200p are fine and work well for great viewing.

Get less then an 8inch primary mirror like I did first and you will wish you had got the 8inch, so avoid that and go straight for the 8inch primary mirror. I hope what ever you go for it brings you a great deal of pleasure but you cant go wrong with the sky watcher 200p and the eq5 mount for the money. Clear skys for when you get it :eek:

Sorry about the double post - the mods had to review the first one and then the subsequent reply turned up.

How much does the 200 p weigh? How big is it? At the moment size is a bit of an issue as I live in a 2 bedroom flat in London and shmbo would not like the extra space taken up! I already have a rather large marine fish tank in the lounge!

Sorry about the double post - the mods had to review the first one and then the subsequent reply turned up.

How much does the 200p weigh? How big is it? At the moment size is a bit of an issue as I live in a 2 bedroom flat in London and shmbo would not like the extra space taken up! I already have a rather large marine fish tank in the lounge!

A marine fish tank hey? I had one of those that took up my living room loved my marine fish but gave it up after 5 years of my living room smelling like the sea. Heres a montage of my unboxing of the sky watcher 200p for you to have a look at. Its much bigger then the 130 twice the size in fact but its is easy to take off the telescope and fold up the mount and put in your car so dont be put off by that. How heavy is it? The telescope is quite light easy to pick up its the mount that is heavy but if you take the weights off its light and easy to carry. When you put it all together its quite heavy yes but thats a good thing as its sturdy and wont shake about when your viewing with say the 10mm eye piece.

Sky+watcher+shots.jpg

Hand on heart you wont regret getting this telescope I love my sky watcher 200p so much and would have got it first if I knew how good it was but I got the sky watcher 130 first still a great scope but having the 8inch primary mirror does make a big difference. If you want to ask me any more about it just pm me and I will be happy to ask any questions you have.:eek:

• 1 year later...
Hi Smeech Been in that same predicament but can highly recommend the sky watcher exsplorer 200p with the eq5 mount for 399.00 or cheaper depends where you get it. This is a lovely telescope and will give you great views of planets nebula other deep sky objects. Its nice balance between the bigger scopes and the smaller ones and having gone for a sky watcher 130 then taken it back for this one craving bigger and better I am very pleased with it. You will find lots of people on this forum who will tell you this is a good telescope. But if your going to get heavily into astrophotography then getting a eq6 mount might become a first priority for you. Having said that this scope and mount is certainly good value for money and you will be able to use it for astrophotography with an SLR camera and get good results. If you have 400.00 to spend then buying the sky watcher 200p will be money well spent and you wont regret it. I have pictures of mine being unboxed and set up in my blog just click the link below to have a look. Hope that helps you..:(

Star Gazing: 10/05/10

Nice blog there quatermass, I also got my skywatcher 200p very recently and am constantly waiting for the next opportunity to use it. I have a question - did the 2" and 1.25" eyepeace holders come with end caps? I seem not to have these on mine. Also, how do you store your eyepieces? The ones which came with the scope are ok but I wanted a more secure way of string them. And one more question, have you figured out how you will store/transport your telescope?

Archived