Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan 3 star alignment

I am just getting up and running with a Synscan goto upgrade for my EQ3-2 SW150p combination.

My back yard is quite dark but surrounded by buildings and I'm struggling to find stars to complete the 3 star alignment.

My lack of knowledge is compounding this as I'm relying on Stellarium to help identify the stars the handset specifies for the alignment

Could anyone suggest a fix as I'm not often going to get to an open observation site with clear horizons. :)

I had some similar problems in the past. I found the only real solution for me was simply to bite the bullet and spend a bit of time getting to know a few stars that would be up at around the time I would be setting up. The time wasn't badly spent, as once I'd found a good set of three alignment stars, typically they would be usable for the next few weeks as long as I was setting up within a couple of hours of the original time.

In my backyard I cannot see polaris, and have painted a triangle pointing north

for my tripod. Luckily I have a good southern vista with reasonably well known

stars most of the year. One can only make the best of what you have.

The planisphere is a good idea.

Mijijm

First time I tried, I found it really difficult. Second time was much easier. What I did second time around:

1) Do the polar alignment well

2) Use a widefield finder - something like a red dot

3) Start up with the scope in the park position (weights down, pointing north)

Tell it to slew to one of the setup stars. It should get very close. Use the red dot to put it in view. The alignment star will be really OBVIOUS (much brighter than the rest).

Park the scope (utility menu) at the end of use so it's easy to go again next time.

For me, Vega is usually obvious, as is Capella, Altair and the stars of the big dipper.

Are you sure you need to do a 3 star alignment. I find a 2 star alignment is all that is needed and one less star to think about.

Give it a try and see what your goto's are like.

Agreed. In fact a one star does me fine if my target is on the same side of the sky as the alignment star. Do a 1-star and then, if you want to do a long slew to a quite different part of the sky, go frst to something unmistakable and centre that manually before doing a re-set on it. Then you are accurately aligned for that area. I wouldn't want to have a computer lit up if using a mount visually, though I may be in a minority of one over this.

Olly

I don't think I explained myself very well.

What I meant was with the help of Stellarium, I can identify the stars that the handset is requesting, I just can't see them due to the surrounding buildings.

Is it possible to customise the alignment stars list using stars that are visible?

Archived