Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

first SLR imaging attempt

It seems to be a trend that adding to old posts doesn't get half the attention as a fresh post, so here goes my latest report:

I got up a few mornings ago an hour before work to image the moon. The night before, at about 10pm, I was doing a speedy observation, and I decided to leave the scope out overnight, so I wouldn't have to bother with cooling time. I packed my scope up under a normal shopping bag, with the handle around the counterweight so it wouldn't fly away, to protect it from the elements. I went to sleep, having made a bet with my girlfriend that I wouldn't manage to get up at 5am. I did, by means of a terribly loud phone alarm, and the sky was crystal clear :D . Despite the carrier bag precaution, my RDF was clouded, and there were traces of dew everywhere, but all the optics were sound. I set up the camera and tried for some lunar shots. CC was of course right about focussing (rather tricky) and exposure. You see, without a lens, the camera can't do TTL exposure. I just had to guess. I made a range, from 1/20 to 1/180 (when it was just under last quarter moon) and tried prime focus as well as EP projection photography. Both were great fun to learn, but I'll be able to progress once I see the images :? . They could all be disastrous, like my first ones:

image.jpg

next time, I really should make a log, so I can alter exposure/any other factors for future sessions.

I can't wait for the results.

Andrew

Focus looks good (I see stars) but you need to drop the exposure by at least two stops.

yes, the focussing is good on these. These shown here are earlier attempts, made with a 600mm lens (not through a telescope), and I manual focussed for infinity. I used the camera's exposure, and, foolish as I was, overexposed, because that is always the advice for ordinary photography.

I think some of the "stars" may be dust showing up on the scan...

Thanks Phil!

Andrew

Archived