Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

red spot?

Ags

Was I looking at the Great Red Spot last night 9.00 PM UK time (21 Oct)? It had the right salmon color, but the seeing was not good enough to make out a clear oval shape. It was trailing a dark band of cloud on its southern edge.

I've only seen the GRS for certain once - that was on a night of appalling seeing, but for a couple of odd seconds the spot snapped into perfect focus. But last night I just couldn't be sure, especially as I was viewing through some thinnish cloud.

Sometimes I've had my best views of Jupiter through a thin, high veil of cloud. It seems to filter the glare slightly making finder details stand out a little more.

At least the GRS is displaying a little pink tint this year - in previous years "Pale Greyish Spot" would have been more appropriate !. I wonder if that is linked to the virtual disappearance (or at least obsuration) of the SEB this year ?

I agree that a bit of cloud helps - the cloud seems to stabilize the air. But it's a delicate thing - a little more cloud and the image starts degrading. Perhaps this is more of a problem with smaller scopes, as i don't have that much light to play with.

i too , found it very difficult to see last night even with it on the c.m

both through my c8 and tal 100 which have shown it very clearly in recent weeks

it appeared very washed out and faint, the c8 did show it a bit better of course, but still indistinct.

there was a cover of hazy thin high cloud drifting in from the west

but the seeing was not to bad .

i think as has been said haze can reduce its contrast a lot and the dew was terrible.

clear skies

lance

• 2 weeks later...

Archived