Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unusual TAL 100 RS

I am the new owner of a used TAL 100RS. I joined this group because there seem to be only a few TAL's in the US and I was looking for assistance with people who are more familiar with the telescope.

From my readings online, it appears to be a hybrid of a 100R and an RS. It has the purple objective coatings (yay) and three baffles (boo) of an R, but it has the longer 2" focuser of an RS. The focuser does have issues though, when I hang it down, it has a tendency to move a bit on it's own (slides downward). I hope this is not a big deal. The only TAL identification was on a small sticker near the focuser and a #0845 sticker.

Regardless, I still think I got a good deal on it for $200 US. It came with a nice Lumicon diagonal and a CG-5 mount and some seed shells inside the tube!!. I'll post some pics and would love to hear your thoughts on this.

newscope012.jpg

newscope001.jpg

Hi.

I had one of these early RS's.

As with yours, it had 3 baffles and the deep purple lens. The only issue I had with it was, IMHO, the scope was let down by the 2" R+P focuser. Before I sold it, I had toyed with the idea of putting on a 2" crayford onto it. As far as I know, there is no direct fit on, but a machined adapter would need to be used between the tube and focuser body.

Andy.

Neil is right, the latest batch of RS's have the deeper purple coatings similar to the 100R..but the new focuser is a beast...very smooth crayford, with lock, rotatable and a really beef tube..there are pictures on the Tal forum group if anyone is interested.

Optically these scopes are best in class and great value. I bought one just to know I have one. I will use it, but my 6" Mak will beat it hands down due to the extra 2" and high quality mirrors..but the Tal on doubles, luna and planets is fabulous and very affordable.

Welcome aboard PSSAT:-)

Dave

I have an in-betweenie as well - must have been as they crossed over to making the new RS version.

Mine doesnt have purple objectives but does have the Crayford and judging from posts on here when I first got it it muct have been one of the first RS models out there as no one seemed to have one with a Crayford (although Neil English reviewed one and never mentioned the Crayford - though you can see in the pics on his review it does have the newer crayford focuser).

Comparing pics on the TAL Group F15s new one has a slightly shorter tube and a longer focuser body than mine.

They all seem to be built slightly differently which is cool - its like owning a custom designed scope.

I only bought mine off F15 cos I needed some room decor and on its woody tripod it looks rather quaint and retro - but on first use I was converted to a fan of this little scope that can.

On planets, Lunar and doubles its the bong and its no slouch eirher at DSOs given a decent dark sky - in fact at SSP I had some of the best wide views I have had of M31.

Its still my favourite scope to use and the only thing that would persuade me to sell it would be getting my mitts on a TAL 125R

Thanks for the help. I think Andy has it right, it must be an early RS, and the rack and pinion focuser cannot handle the weight of the focuser and eyepiece and it is notchy. If I repacked it with a heavier grease, would this help?

I did use it last night and the optics are awesome, very sharp images and pinpoint stars. It's a lot more portable than my 8 inch newtonian or 10 inch Meade SCT

.........the rack and pinion focuser cannot handle the weight of the focuser and eyepiece and it is notchy. If I repacked it with a heavier grease, would this help?

It couldn't hurt. I'd also think about doing the following.....

Try adding a plastic(or plastic tipped) thumbscrew by drilling and tapping a hole on the focuser , so that the screw can adjust the tension of the drawtube when it's carrying a load. Can't remember the thickness of the focusers aluminium body, so don't know if that's possible?

Andy.

Archived